1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Todays event

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by plowking35, Nov 27, 2002.

1. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Started plowing at 4 am, called out the other two trucks and away we went. As I mentioned in another thread, the wake music helps get things going.
    By 5 am both condos and and the hotel are opened up, I hit the new utility company we signed this year( shop and office) while other trucks head to two properties we have side by side. I get a call from one driver, hey can we handle another account right down the street? I say sure why not, tell the manager$ 125.00 an hour per truck. He calls me back in 5 min and syas its a go, so my two v plows and a subs v plow decend on the place, I see the manager and ask if we are in agreement, I fill out a blank contract I keep in the truck and he signs. AT this point its just for this storm. Tells me he hired a friend of a driver that works for him, and that guy never showed up. This is a grain feed silo warehouse, and Tractor trailers arrive at 3 am to fill up and hit the road. Some of these trailers drive all over New England so they need to be in and out quick. No time to sit and spin tires on the hill. It reminds me of question John Allin asks to potential customers. Which if I can remember goes something like this. It isnt so much a matter of how much will snow removal cost you, its more a matter of how much money do you lose if you cannot operate or open your business in a timely manner becuase of snow.
    That is exactly what this manager was thinking at 5 am this morning when trucks were sitting on the hill and he couldnt load grain onto them.
    So we plow the lot, and spread some salt and sand mix on the hill. When we finsh, I am chatting with my guys, in drives the 1975 beat up truck with a plow hanging off the front. And I do mean hanging, back yard fabrication at its best. He pulls up and starts the conversation with WHAT THE F***.
    I say woah guy, you need to speak with the manager. I hear the driver yelling at the manager, about working all night to get the plow on, so on and so forth. He leaves spinning tires. The manager, comes over to us, comments on how all our trucks are at least one color, and says drop a contract for the season on Monday. Its a pleasure dealing with pros. So that was my morning from 5-6 am.
    At 8 am I get another call from a self storage facility right next to the grain facility, says he saw my trucks next store and grabbed the phone number off the truck. Doesnt even ask how much, just please get it done, sometime today. He closed on the place last week, and thought he would have more time to find a contractor.
    Now this place is a challenge. 6 rows of units, 20' between units about 200' long. The snow needs to be removed from between the units and then pushed through gates. It took 2 hrs with 2 v plows to get it done. One truck feeding the other. When done, he also asked for a contract to sign. Whats more the gates open at 7 am, so its a nice fill in after the morning rush. All said and done, it was nice way to add a few dollars to the bottom line today.
    Not to say all went smooth. I had 2 new drivers, and they did good, but needed some guidance. My oldest truck had some issues, the worst of which was the wiper motor gave out, so the driver and shoveler, tied string to the wiper ends, and ran the string in through the vent windows, that way the shoveler could manually move the wiper sfor the driver. I about fell on the floor when I saw that, one of the funniest things I have seen. Talk about a never say die attitude.
    I also had my newest employee ride with me, what a nice young guy, funny as all get out, put great for manning the phone, and keeping track of what was done and not done. He was my mobile dispatcher. Took alot of the stress of me.
    Heres to a good season, it at least started at such.
  2. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

WoW, sounds like you had a great day.
    And most of all EXELENT employes...
    Great that your guys could find a simple solution to a seroius problem with the wipers, & keep the truck moving.
    Goes to show the guys who show up are the guys who get the contract. I got a couple calls today from last minute people & A guy who's cheep plow guy didnt even make it out of their driveways to the SMALL lot, guy saw his buddies drive was done right on time, got my # & called... I need to find some way of making cheep removable sinage for my truck. Magnetics either fall of or get stolen because I forget to take em off.
  3. Rob

Rob PlowSite.com Veteran

That's great - congrats

Got Grass ?
    You don't want cheap signs - just inexpensive :D
  4. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

You gotta hate when the wiper motor goes!My 95' Chevy had a wiper motor that worked all summer and was on vacation when it snowed!Things get real ugly when you cant see were the hell your going,I'd say you made out pretty well considering all the things that can,have and do go wrong!
  5. turfguy

turfguy Member

Got stuck

Started out at 7 this morning everything moving along fine and then as I backed down a long dirt driveway .....plop ...yep down to my axels in thick mud. You can always tell who your friends are by how fast they come to your help.A little powerstoke pull and my bowtie was back in the game. thank you goes out to Halls Welding :waving:
  6. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

Turfguy -=- Where ya from? Put your loc. in your profile...
  7. Foz

Foz Senior Member

Sounds like you had a good morning. Love it when a "non-professional plower" shows up & completes the sale for you.

Keep the McGuyver guy, you might need that string again, ROFLMAO

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!!!!!!!!!!
  8. litle green guy

litle green guy Senior Member

We where all ready for 3-5".... But nothing stuck to the raods and we only got 1-2" on the grass. Gotta love the weather guessers. :rolleyes: glad everybody else did well.
  9. ProSno

ProSno Senior Member

Started plowing at 5:00 a.m. 88 f-450 dump lost brakes, oh well keep going still have two other trucks. Next-new driver backs over small wall and rips off the toolbox under f-350 flatbed, put box in my pick up and keep going. Plowed 6"-7" of wet heavy snow. Finished up at about 4:00 p.m. and was leaving my last account when I see a small pile of snow next to a concrete pole with a speaker on top for the truck drivers to talk from the scales, well I should move it right? so I start to move this pile and the truck slides sideways into the pole-You guessed it! DENT IN THE BED. 2001 f-250 with not only a dent but ripped a small hole in the sheet metal. Figures the last push of the day and that happens. Any one else dent up a brand new truck? I'll take a digital picture and post it later today.:realmad: :realmad:
  10. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

PRO.......BUMMER on that crunch ! Saw a lots of the guys
    at thie years BBQ in Poughkeepsie and they were comparing
    dents and bruises on their new rigs ! LUCKY ME no damage
    so far (knock on wood) on my 01. 2nd year out.
    Well guys eat your hearts out...about 5 inches in Hannibal
    NY this AM.......Been out playing for a couple hours !
    They say more lake effect this PM in Northern NY !
    Bank lady wants a clean and salted lot daily even if they
    are closed !....Me love $$$$...who don't !
    Turkey..I can eat it tomorrow......
    Pastor at church up street just stopped me to go plow
    church...Free of course ! But to make him happy and not
    complain to town officials about my bar off i gotta go !
    Happy turkey day to all !!!!!!!........................geo
  11. sonjaab

BTW: The church is having a free dinner today for the
    elderly and poorer folks....I guess a little community
    service won't hurt ..just a bit of my time.........
    The local town justice is a member of this church too.
    And I will MAKE SURE he sees me and I say hello and
    the pastor tells him the plow is a freebee !!!!!!
    So next time i get a ticket or a bar problem he will let
    me slide !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know..i know...suck up me...but it can't hurt !....LOL
    Especially in this little village of Hannibal where i live
    in the sticks...

HOLY COW: Just looked out the window snow is blastin'
    must be another inch since i been surfing! Yea baby !
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2002
  12. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

No one hit any thing yesterday, but if my truck was a pick up it would have war woundds all over the back, but its a dump, and so far I havent hit anything hard enough to bend the dump body.
    Maybe next time.
  13. sonjaab

HEY ALL......Lake effect kickin' hard in Hannibal, NY
    ( 2 miles from Lake Ontario)........Love that $$$$
    falling from the sky ! Prob. have to go hit the
    church again free(for suck up points). Free dinner
    is at 2 pm. so about 12:30-1:00 i will go back !

FUNNY THO: My bar they could care less if its
    plowed or not...As long as the doors unlocked,
    and beer is cold ! Like the Grateful Dead sang:
    If unable to dance , I will CRAWL !..........geo

Happy Turkey day to all !
  14. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Less than 1" in main, sent the salt trucks to the main roads. The sand trucks to the secondary roads. Last night had to send 1 truck out to spot spread.

15. sonjaab

HEY ALL ....Hannibal has money falling from
    sky right now ! Some of the local boys are
    out doing their routes.....Stopped by for
    coffee ....expecting lake effect
    tomorrow...YA HOO!..............geo

BTW: the churchs is a volunteer FREE plow
    job...So I'm not taking money from somebodys
    pocket or paying route !..................

Smell that turkey cookin' and that snow a falling!

OBRYANMAINT PlowSite.com Veteran
    from ohio

one of those mornings make all the other "bad" mornings go away and keep us in the business

way to go!
  17. SLC1

SLC1 Senior Member

Well here is how my storm went, Tuesday afternoon we finished cleanups and started putting all plows and sanders on and getting everything ready, well I am putting the last sander on the last truck and I was hooking the chain up to the loader as I tried to jump off of the sander my right hand index finger got stuck in the top screen and i went to the ground with half my finger stuck in the sander, I broke my finger and tore off the tip of it, so I had to sit in the Emergency Room for three hours while they stiched it back on, and I had to tell them not to give me any pain killers that would make me sleepy oh well as I was in the ER my guys finished getting everything ready. Well the sander I was trying to get on doesnt work so i get out of the ER go to the shop and start going through the sander wires end up tracing it to a bad wire , just splice it into the two-way radio wire to get power to it for the storm, now thats fixed, now it is 6pm and gotta get the loader and pusher down to the site we keep it on, do that and hook it up thats good, now 8pm, get home in lots of pain, watch weather the storm is starting earlier than expected, cant sleep watch tv all night and start plowing around 2am, call all employees in at 4am, all going well except for the snow falling so hard that when we leave the lots it doesnt even look like we were there, stops snowing at 10am get going on getting everything cleaned up, get a call from the athletic director at the high school, (we take care of the entire school system, mowing and plowing) that we need to get the snow off the football field and all bleachers, oh sh*** what to do, well we get the help of all football players and grid iron club, we first finish cleaning all accounts up by 4pm, start working at the football field and we have about 30 people with shovels, snow blowers, skidsteer and small truck working on the field, get it all cleared off get home at 1am get some sleep wake up at 6am to salt all accounts and have entire crew working up at high school, salting all the bleachers, straight sand on the track, everything looks good the visiting team and officals get there and say the snow is too close to the boundry lines, got to get the loader up there with the pusher cause by now all the snow banks are frozen solid, move them over, now we got to start working on the feld cause some morons decided to go out there on the field last night and do holeshots on the field , send some guys back to the shop to get topsoil and start filling in ruts, we finished up exaclty 1/2 hour before kickoff, send guys home at 11am, I go check some accounts, go over to mom and dads house go out for dinner with them, and now I am kicking back and drinking a 6 pack and gonna get some sleep it had to be one of the weirdest storms we have ever done, everything went ok, except for a couple of small breakdowns and my finger but it was just very crazy too bad I cant have jobs like that all the time, the school told me do what ever it takes and charge whatever you need to, sorry for such a long post
  18. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

SLC1,i am guessing by the long post you wrote you didnt break your typing finger:nono: ,sorry,just kiddin!that sucks,will you have full use of the finger? A guy i know slamed a truck hood shut on my buddys hand once,lost two fingers,needless to say EVERYBODY pays attention whenever this guy is around now!
  19. kawdude

kawdude Senior Member

I ahd an Easy mornin, We got 6 inches of powder here, no major problems, the only thing that did happen was, the first time my plow tripped, one of my markers took off like a torpedo. When I was finished I did my truck look over and found that one of the hitch pins had fallen out of the lower mount, glad i diddnt lose the big pin.......Whew

Hope yall had a good turkey day!
  20. SLC1

SLC1 Senior Member

Arc Burn, Funny you said that about the typing I am using the hunt and peck typing method now, but if the skin grows back and attaches itself it will be ok but I will have no nerves in it so I wont have any feeling in the tip, If it does not take in 10 days then I got to go back to the ER and they will remove the tip. Oh well only time will tell,