1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Today I sharpened all my pencils . . .

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by rv4jesus, Jan 7, 2012.

1. rv4jesus

rv4jesus Member

OK, I didn't sharpen all of them but I am getting ready for all the jobs that Lord willing will come in when it finally snows.

We have been off to a slow start here in Chicago. I talked to a few contractors this past week. One was going on a motorcycle ride, the other was working on getting contracts signed for landscaping. That was smart. My eyes may be playing tricks on me but it did look like the grass was springing up a little.

What have you been doing with your time?

2. Dailylc

Dailylc Senior Member

Speaking of the grass growing. I noticed at my bank yesterday, all the dandelions that were blooming in the lawn. WTH!

James

3. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Sounds like you need to bust out the esters and knock the crud out of them.

I've been taking it relatively easy. Maintenance work on equipment, projects from last winter that I didn't do, and in the next week or so I'm going to start doing some re-modeling on my house.

4. BOSS LAWN

BOSS LAWN Senior Member

Finally doing maintenance on the work horses, double and triple check all equipment . Doing the best I can to avoid auto parts stores..

5. rv4jesus

rv4jesus Member

custom auger

Maintaining equipment reminds me I made a custom auger for our taiilgate spreader a coiuple days ago that works great. I attached a four links of chain to a snowex agitator auger. I think it may work better than the auger. So far no jams, it flows great and I can use the gate with it.:mechanic:

6. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

I hear ya

We are going to send out landscape bed maint. crews before long.

7. BOSS LAWN

BOSS LAWN Senior Member

Heck, I might ever break out the John Deere from the outside shed for fun tomorrow :mechanic:

8. jvm81

jvm81 Senior Member
    from Midwest

All eequipment has been gone thru. Waiting for a few parts - throttle lever for mower, new parking brake for mower. Clean shop and organize! Tools, label all belts, etc.

Working on the spring ad, meeting with new ppl, being at home with my three little boys and wife. Actually the income sucks but the time we spend together is priceless!

9. Schuley

Schuley Senior Member

I saw a guy spreading mulch over the weekend.... :dizzy:

10. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Hell, I'm thinking about finally landscaping my place, or at least finishing it off.

11. jklawn&Plow

jklawn&Plow Senior Member

That was me, I had two garbage cans I had to empty out. just dumped out back.

12. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

My wife finally got me to remodel our own bathroom.

Every year I can tell her that I am to busy, I have trucks to work on,
    This year, no snow, no rason to work on trucks.

Here I am hanging rock. :mad:

13. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

14. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

At work we are doing a lot of tree trimming. The past 2 years have brought some bad storms through and any chipping time has been spent doing clean-ups. Up until November I had not done any routine tree maintenance. By now the guys are itching to get in the plow trucks, whereas the past few years, they couldn't wait to get out of them :D

15. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

16. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

17. Brantley_Dev

Brantley_Dev Junior Member

Designing playgrounds here in Detroit, cleaning up my office and getting on the wife's nerves

[​IMG]

18. DobbinsINC

DobbinsINC Member

treework and patios

19. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

still wiring all the 'new to the industry' guys trucks who still think they are gonna get rich plowing this year...LOL

hows your lights doing RV?...any issues with the kit?

20. rv4jesus

rv4jesus Member

not much to do with the truck here

The strobes are great. I test them every once in a while in my driveway just to scare the neighbors into thinking the cops are here! Or, if I accidentally engage the backup alarm I wake everyone up. I'll send you pictures of the install. It went well considering my inexperience. I was amazed how all the wires were the right length. Although I enjoyed doing it myself, I'm sure you would have done a much better and faster job.

I meant to ask, why are the strobes screwed into the inner headlight with a larger hole in the outer shell?