1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

To wing or not to wing?

Discussion in 'SnowMan SnowPlows' started by pushin 4 u, Jul 26, 2009.

1. pushin 4 u

pushin 4 u Member

I am going to buy a snowman back plow, now is the question of wether or not I should buy the standard box wings or the wider wings? I do have some bigger parking lots, but i also do smaller ones as well as driveways. Now the 64,000 dollar question is... does the high volume wings matter THAT much or is it just personal preference? I'm looking for the ones that would the best is both large and small apps. instead of wings that rock at one place and totally suck at another. Any help would be most appreciated.:dizzy:

2. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

Huh?:dizzy:
    What is your intended vehicle? Do you run salt? Pics or a site of what you are looking at may be helpful.

3. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

how wide is the backblade moldboard? If you add wings will you be to wide for your drives?

4. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

If you're running a dually go with an 8', if it's a single rear wheel go with a 7'. If the plow is wider than the back of your truck you will really have to be careful so that you don't catch it on something.

I have a 7' Snowman and I'm happy with that size. Of course it would be nice to have a bigger plow when I'm doing large lots but I really like the fact that I can drive around and not worry too much about what's sticking out from the back of my truck. Just my $.02

5. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

We try to use the rule of thumb, 6 inches smaller than the front blade. That way if you have the front angled off to the side the rear wont be hanging farther out.

6. pushin 4 u

pushin 4 u Member

Sorry boys

Sorry boys. the truck is a 2009 f350 diesel crew cab...not worried about the truck thing. Look under pics fot 2009 diesel boat. If I get the snowman the spreader will come off and go onto another truck. Since I have never run in all my years plowing a backblade I was looking for the most common wings with the most versatility as opposed to wings that will only do the big lots. I was thinking about the 7 ft with box wings, for the ease of not duffin something when I turn a corner, but will that be enough to also do the big jobs? Do you guys run with both plows down? I'm runnin the wideout so i would not think of runnin both at the same time unless in one of my circle drives. My thinking is to use it only for docks, drives, between trailers, circle drives, and pulling the islands instead of backdraggin. Now are they THAT much faster or am I pissin in the wind and stick with backdraggin?:dizzy::help:

7. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

Posting pics for a visual reference. Good luck whatever choice you make. This is their big Contractor version, 8 foot wide and does NOT angle. You can use a spreader with it, though.

A bigger one than my little baby spreader!

Back Plow3.jpg