1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

to widen or not to widen?

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by dave_dj1, Oct 16, 2011.

1. dave_dj1

dave_dj1 Senior Member
    from NY

I have a 3/4 ton hd ram 2500 and a Meyer 8c.
    At first I was going to extend the plow to 9' but some of you smarter people talked me out of that last year...lol
    Now I am thinking just adding 3" to each side and making it 8' 6" wide?
    I have the tools and material and know how but I'm not sure if the truck can handle the extra width/weight or if I'll be happy with it.
    I also have a new Meyer E58H pump unit if that makes a difference.

I have the plow completely torn down at the moment prepping if for paint so to do the work now will be easy.
    What do you all think? Leave it or do it?
  2. Dewey

Dewey Senior Member

Adding 3" to each side won't add any huge amount of weight... There is more snow weight added when you plow.... I have a 9'2" Boss Vee On a 1 Ton GMC I added 8" to each side . I think its the best thing I ever did..
  3. superdog1

superdog1 Senior Member

length can be an issue

I just got a 9' Western that I am going to shorten to 8' or maybe even less? The reason is that it is CRAZY trying to drive around with a blade that wide on the front and not remove every side view mirror during transport. The 2nd reason is the plow doesn't fit through bank drive ups and other tight places. If all I had to push were huge lots, I would make it even larger, but it just isn't worth the hassle for the extra foot?? Any thoughts?:confused:
  4. dave_dj1

dave_dj1 Senior Member
    from NY

Depending on what truck you have it on 9" sounds ok to me. I have no problems driving with the 8 footer on. I know lots of guys that have 9' on one ton duellies.
  5. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

I run a 8.5 C Poly with wings and a E60 pump. I'd add wings to it, you have the option of going wide when you need it plus ithey will decrease your plow time by 25-30% which equals mo money.
  6. dave_dj1

dave_dj1 Senior Member
    from NY

I whimped out for this season :mechanic:
    I just cleaned the plow all up and painted it as is, no time, we are busy with work (thankfully)
    Maybe next year or I'll look into the wings.