1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

To what degree does a machine being grey affect its value?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by JimMarshall, Feb 29, 2016.

1. JimMarshall

JimMarshall Senior Member
    from NW PA

Have a grey market Yanmar B50, wondering what it's worth, what the value would be compared to the ones I'm finding in machinery trader, etc

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

IMO no. Parts are really hard to find and usually there's no listing in the parts book for it.
    We had a grey yanmar as well, go rid of it eventually. To hard to get parts.
    And usually there's no listing for them

3. JimMarshall

from NW PA

Oh I know the struggle, the machine I have is Grey, and she's starting to get tired, wondering what it's worth for when I go to replace it.

4. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

Curious - what the heck is gray market?

5. newhere

newhere PlowSite.com Addict
    from Fenton

It's a foreign machine that's been imported

6. ScubaSteve728

ScubaSteve728 Senior Member

The grey market is a market where a product is bought and sold outside of the manufacturer's authorized trading channels.
    For example a excavator built for the chines market but is sold here in America before it makes it out of the country.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=If7HFqZ1Z_Q

7. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

Interesting - thanks

8. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

Some guys don't mind them at all, I know a guy that runs hanix and when ones tired he purchases one and picks up at the shipyards.:dizzy: I had a gray market once to hard to get parts. The way I see it if you got a deere cat and it's worth 16k the gray would be worth around 10 to 11K.

Komatsu gray market are easy to get parts for, There are buyers for them. I got tired of the parts guys sticking there nose up at me. That Yanmar depending how tired it is should sell for 10k somebody starting out. Till they learn there lesson like the rest of us. Some people don't even no or care about gray market. You go to sold section under excavator on ebay you will be surprised for the amounts they sell for.

9. JimMarshall

from NW PA

The machine isn't THAT tired, hydraulics are getting a little weak, and there's some slop in the pins/bushings, but no more than I would expect for a 20+ year old machine with 3,5XX hours. That's about the number I was thinking too, and I would be thrilled to get that out of it with what I have into it.

Getting parts has been interesting but not impossible, it just takes a little creativity to find them sometimes.

10. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

Post some pics. when ready to sell along with your parts source. Still a use able machine.