1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

to wash or not

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by carl b, Nov 23, 2008.

1. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

I oil spray my truck . with used oil . I know you all use ff , but i like used oil free works well for this & I'm doing this to save money . so its the way for me .

now I drive threw a wash bay that does the under side of my truck every time i plow . how many times can i do this before i have to spray again ? I like my truck to look nice its a 94 but looks good . so I'd like to get at lest 4-5 more years out of it I feel I'm driving my money back out of it .so I try to keep up with it with out spending any more than I have to . after all this is why we do this .

thanks Carl

2. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Hey Carl,
    The only thing about the used oil is the crappy stuff that remains in the oil. I heard that using used oil can atcually promote rusting, I dont know thats just whatI heard once. I use Fluid Film, a gallon only costs about 50 bucks and I did my truck and used about 1.5 qts, I still have well over half a gallon left. I think running it through a power wash will wash it away more so than just hosing it off due to the power of the spray. But I dont think that it will effect it that much if you do it every year. I did my truck when it was new and just did it again (2yrs later) and the FF was still tacky. Either way atleast you have some protection on the truck.

3. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Aside from it being REALY BAD FOR THE ENVIRONMENT. YOU are probably the expert on oil coating the frame:), I dont think many people do it. You tell me how long the oil spray lasts, you've used it and washed the underside of the truck:rolleyes:.

4. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

yes THE TREE HUGER HAD TO FIND ME

let me start by saying I use a tarp when I spray . I don't leak that much oil .

I would say more about you but it would just get my thread booted so if you don't like it do reply

just to let you know this is how you spell really. two L 's

5. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

We use to spray our tractors and trucks with used oil and I had mixed results. I found that it made our stuff look dirty. With FF I do the all the bumpers, drill holes on the rockers, take tail lights out and spray it on all metal under the hood. I actually used Krown after the used oil and had good results with it but I seem to like FF the best.

6. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

OK you asked me to reply, so I will.

AAAA
    1) I ain't a tree hugger.

2)
    It ain't what drips off when applying... but where does the stuff go that comes off the frame over time. I mean you have to re-apply the stuff, so it goes someplace (possibly into the environment)? You do know used engine oil is a hazardous waste,right? I ain't saying don't do it, I was thinking of doing it to the inside of my frame (box frame).

3) I'll say it again You are the expert with this, you have stated that you are already spraying and going through car washes.
    So how is it working?

I wouldn't throw rocks If I were you

just to let you know this is how you spell "threw". through
    just to let you know this is how you spell "lest". least
    just to let you know this is how you spell "with out". without
    I won't go into your grammar

We all make mistakes

Last edited: Nov 23, 2008
  7. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Pretty sure when you wash the underside the oil is going somewhere not so good ...But that's another story.
    As long as you have used oil available I would put it on the truck whenever you can. It has to help somewhat
    I prefer Fluid Film too tho.

8. Indy

Indy Senior Member

The problem with rust on metal is extended exposure to moisture.

Oil isn't the cure.........

If you oil it then dirt sticks to the oil and HOLDS moisture against the metal you have created a problem..........

I have experience with commercial wash equipment so I do have some knowledge here........cleaner is better. (clean won't trap moisture even if it's bare)

JMHO:rolleyes: