1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

To use a 3/4 2 WD for Salting Only

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by CrimsonSnow, Oct 4, 2014.

1. CrimsonSnow

CrimsonSnow Junior Member
    from Midwest

Thought I would ask more seasoned people before I decide.
    I have a 03' 2500HD 2 WD truck to go along with my 04' 2500 HD 4x4 with a 8' Western. 2 Toro 2 Stage Snowblowers. A Few Shovels, haha.

Currently I only have a few of my own accounts for snow removal, I do plow for a large commercial owner and sometimes sub in for 2 other contractors. Only 1 wants salt but the 4 I am bidding would like salt. I cant really fill my 4x4's bed with a spreader because I mix in residentials and need the bed space for my blowers.
    The questions I have is, have any you ever used a 2 WD for spreading salt?
    Was is it profitable to do it that way?
    Was it it logistically feasible?
    Or was it/is it, easier to just sub that part out?

I know some may laugh at my question but if I do get at least 2 of those bids I will need to salt the lot and I am trying to maximize equipment for profitability.
  2. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

It would seem easier to use the 2wd truck to haul the blowers and stuff for your resi accounts. Put a spreader on the back of your plow truck. It would be a bunch of extra driving if you had to plow then go get a second truck and come back around. Unless your talking about having someone dedicated to salting with the 2wd.

The logistics would be tough unless you had tons of accounts, then you could dedicate a salt truck. I run with a smaller operation, Our resi crews all drive separate, the plow trucks have a vbox or tail gait spreader.
  3. snocrete

snocrete Banned

It sounds as though having the salt truck (with its own driver) would be the way to go for you. If you don't want/or cant have a separate driver, then put the salter in the plow truck(or just sub it out). It will be a hassle to try and run both trucks yourself. If you are doing a lot of subbing, you may find your salt truck ends up making you more money than the plow truck..?..?..
  4. CrimsonSnow

CrimsonSnow Junior Member
    from Midwest

I forgot to mention that I would have a driver for the other truck.
    We are also a small company, just trying to figure out how to go from 30 hours straight to about 20 to 24 hours. I know bigger storms you dont have a choice in a way but you can mix in some breaks. We have pulled a a few 36 to 40 hour runs and I am concerned that an accident chance becomes a bigger possibility.
    That is why I am trying get some feedback now before the snowfalls.
    Before we would just service everything, plow, shovel and salt sidewalks only till it was all done. Now with possibility of getting more accounts, we need to be better prepared.
    All that planning is great til the first snow, will see then.