1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

To treat or not to treat?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Tony Clifton, Jan 19, 2008.

1. Tony Clifton

Tony Clifton Junior Member

In a situation where it pours rain all day, and the temp. drops below freezing at night do you treat? I guess my questions is, if there is a couple hour lapse between the rain stopping and the temps going below freezing do you treat or does the pavement soak up the moisture.
    I know it seems to be a very silly question, but I have never dealt with this type of situation.
    Thanks!

2. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

you are contracted to manage the ice and snow and it doesn't matter if the moisture comes from snow ice rain or humidity it is all still ice when it freezes.

so to answer you're Q' YES

3. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

4. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

Steve, U mad my day LOL

One of my post got link to help some one else LOL

5. Tony Clifton

Thanks for the responses...I guess the point I was getting at is whether or not you thought there would be any moisture that would turn to ice. I had big plans for the night and had to cancel them, and had this vision of myself getting prepped, and then going out and the surfaces being dry. I dont think that will be the case...just curious on how that type of situation is handled.

6. Clapper&Company

from NE OHIO

IF you had planns you could have waited till moring to salt if they were after hour I would think.

Not like said in the other post, I will salt if theres a chance of ice to had.. It might never be Ice but if the chance is there were out salting

7. Tony Clifton

Yep, definately a good chance now....just wasn't sure and didnt want to let the people we are working for down...
    My plans were a couple hours away and I wasnt coming back until tomorrow so it is a no go. Other problem is that I have about 25 sites so it is going to take some time...planning on starting around 3AM and having someone else come in around 5-6 to help me finish.
    Obviously this is our first event and I will finally be able to use some of the ice melt that we have had sitting around for the past year or so. I have been waiting for the time to come where we get to treat, just sucks it happened on one of my college buddies 30th birthday.

8. Clapper&Company

from NE OHIO

Yea, But with u being in NC I would salt

9. Oasis

Oasis Senior Member

With the increase in slip and fall suits . . . theres no question about it. Why risk the liability if there is a probable chance of freezing then ... Salt.....Thats what the customer pays for right?

10. Tony Clifton

You are absolutely right. I just wasnt sure if there were a 3 hour lapse between the rain stopping and the freezing temps that there would be any moisture left, therefore anything to treat.