1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

To Timbren or not.....?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Turf Commando, Sep 24, 2008.

1. Turf Commando

Turf Commando Senior Member

Alright guys, I have (91) F-150 Western pro blade weighing in at 690 lbs ...
    Whats the best way to beef up front end suspension Timbrens Or Heavy Duty coils springs..

Asked this question to different suspension shops and nobody can answer one way or other...I know some ballast will help but I need support also...

Pic shows some front end sagging, already replaced front shocks and rear with Monroe sensa trac...
    [​IMG]

2. Indy

Indy Senior Member

Yes on Timbrens

3. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Definitely timbrens....HD coils would help also probably be a bit nicer to drive on than having a lot of weight on the timbrens! Just depends how much money/time you want to spend on this issue!

4. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

x3 and ballast;).

5. Turf Commando

Turf Commando Senior Member

Timbrens must be one hell of a product...

6. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

there cheap and easy. Kind of a cheater.

i have them.

I vote coils though. If you want to do it right let the suspension shop do their job without looking for a easy way out. otherwise enjoy your new timbrens

7. fordmstng66

fordmstng66 Senior Member

I vote for the Heavy Duty Coils. They are not as expensive as you may think. I had a 95 F150, and i went with the HD Coils, and no Timbrens. Never had a problem with the alignment even with the plow raised.

8. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

All of the above. I actually saw one of these trucks once, well..........a buddie at the time got one at the sale and soon mounted a Unimount on it. Lifted the blade and thought something was wrong with the plow b/c it didn't come off the ground. Well, guess what? The lift arm was up, the springs couldn't take the weight. He'd lift the plow, and the truck would squat like 6"!! He put air bag inserts in it and it fixed the problem.

9. ServiceOnSite

ServiceOnSite Senior Member

i would say springs before timbrens. that thing looks like the wheels are tucked waaaaaaaaaaaay up the if the fender well

10. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

on the few bronco's we use to use the coil were alway replaced with hd"s i think moog make a set for plowing

JR

11. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

ballast will NOT lighten the front end....it will but it will take several thousand pounds in the bed behind the rear axle or several hundred pounds hanging 10feet behind the truck

but yeah you aught to have a little ballast in thier for traction

i would check in to the airbags or the HD coil's. the timbren's are a bandaid!

i, myself would rather have the airbag's....but if you don't mind beeting youre head against the roof, then by all means go with the coil's or if you don't mind alway's running around on your bumpstop's:rolleyes: then go with the timbrens.

i know alot of times thier is not alot of other cheap option's but....timbrens do wear out and it is nothing more than a stiffer bumpstop and the axle or the truck frame wasnt made to carry around that much weight directly on the bumpstop's will it do it?...yeah but why not do it the best way you can?

B&B what's youre suggestion?

PJ

12. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

If you chose to go the new spring route stay away from the springs that come in a "lift kit" or that are for off roading. They will give you a lift but they are much softer and they will not hold up your plow very well.

Yea, get the stiff springs if you want that nice soft ride to go away and be replaced with a harsh ride. You will only notice the timbrens when you have the plow mounted.

I Use timbrens and I have up graded springs too, some times both at the same time

Hey pj.....:waving:pumpkin:

Last edited: Sep 27, 2008
  13. powerjoke

hey what pumpkin: lol

i said it wouldnt lighten the front end.....i didnt say it wouldnt lift the plow higher.

the plow hangs....what?........5 feet in front of the wheel?

so if you lower the back end it raisis the plow but the front axle didnt unload much. (maybe 50:1 ) ? it's just leverage.

i need help.....SF is picking on me :cry: lmao

PJ

Last edited: Sep 27, 2008
  14. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

cry baby. Are you hurt? No? Then stop crying.pumpkin:

15. powerjoke

"HEY LOOK MA'......I CAUGHT ME ONE OF THEM THERE SNOFARMER'S ":D now what do i do with it?.....maybe i aught to beat it in the head with a stick:D lmao

i don't get it :confused: so witch is it? lol

16. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

1.Do you have a Lic to hunt snofarmers?

2, Both.pumpkin: It's elementary physics.

17. powerjoke

elemenary physic's?.......here we go with the 3rd grade stuff again lmao

B&B where are you lol

18. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Stop yelling for your dad...
    Your in the 3rd grade now. We don't like whiners or tattletales , that's for 2nd grade cry babes...pumpkin:
    so the only one you trust is B&B? Well if that's how you are.............

actally, We are very proud of Pj it only took him 2 try's to pass the 2nd grade.

19. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Is this ballast behind the rear wheels, if so we'll call it counter ballast, if it's ahead of the rear axle it's just ballast. That's what Elite told me anyway.:D

20. powerjoke

No wonder you get by with so much :rolleyes: lol

Second grade was a PITA,,,,,i kept argueing with the teacher about elementary physic's.....i kept trying to tell her that common sence would be what we would use when we hooked plows up, haha

where is Eilte anyway haha