1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

To The Members

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Sean Adams, Nov 7, 2003.

1. Sean Adams

Sean Adams Member

I apologize for not being able to post this sooner....but here goes the shortest version I can muster....and it isn't going to be sugar coated.

This is a full time venture - a full time job. I assume none of you plow for free. I do not work for free either. Am I making much money? No. Let it suffice to say, PlowSite provides less income than a minimum wage job.

The people posting claiming it is my responsibility to answer any and all questions thrown my way could not be more incorrect. I do not have to make anything public that I do not feel is appropriate or in the best interests of myself, the site, the future of the site, the members or the sponsors....If someone wants to approach me like a true professional, and discuss the operation of this site, feel free to contact me at sean@lawncaresuccess.com or 412-801-8888. The action I took in removing the moderators occurred only after a sincere effort on my part to have them accept my authority for the suspension and banning of members for infractions. I wanted them to be more tolerant of minor infractions and numerous people would have been suspended or banned by these moderators if I had not exercised my authority. We want this site to be user friendly, helpful, informative, and "drama-free".

This forum is about snow and ice - to learn, to read, to add insight and opinions. Nothing more, nothing less. If you joined this site to discuss my business, please make sure I have the same option to discuss your business on an open forum for anyone to read. My intentions are to remove any and all posts or threads made regarding this issue after I feel everyone has had ample opportunity to read my response.

To Pelican, BRL, and CT18 and Alan - since none of you have the nerve to speak to me and have denied every request I have made to speak with you, I will state this here - once and only once. This matter is officially closed. If you post on this site about these matters again, it will be removed from the site and you will be as well. My decision was not a popular one, but a business decision I needed to make nonetheless.

If you read any of the threads about this situation, you will see the same people responding over and over again - a tight knit clique of friends out of over 6,600+ registered members and the thousands more that read the site.

It has been my objective from the beginning to make PlowSite a user friendly forum that welcomes new members. From this point on, I will not permit myself or any member to be the target of harrassment and criticism. If your post is about the industry or business, great - that is what this FREE site is here for.

I'm finished playing games. This site is growing faster than you blink. More and more people as well as sponsors are signing up daily. We must be doing something right.

This site is for professionals and will remain that way. It will grow that way and it will prosper that way.

2. cnypropertysvcs

cnypropertysvcs Member

Thank you for your response Sean.

Bill

3. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

While I'm not privy to the circumstances and specifics, and I'm certain it's none of my business - I believe that this IS Sean's business and since it is his, his decisions should stand. I respect that and accept that.

4. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

Wow! I can't believe I missed so much excitement.

It seems to me that if you read *any* of the threads, regardless of the subject you'll see the same clique. In other words there's a small group that's providing to you the content that the other 6,550 members and all the guests come here to read. I'm proud to think I'm one of them.

I agree with everyone who has said that PlowSite has been a tremendous resource to them. It certainly has to me.

Business is business, and sometimes there are tough decisions to be made. All I can say is, I hope for everybody's sake that you haven't shot yourself in the foot...

5. Lanelle

Lanelle Member

As a former moderator on LS, I do understand much of what has been posted. The way I see the changes is that in the early days of these forums they were governed as a community by community members. It has always been a thankless volunteer position that takes a great amount of time and tack to do the job thoroughly and professionally. Now this site is a business that is being managed. It is a fundamental shift.
    This is still a free country and everyone is welcome to take their business where they wish, both as owners and as consumers. It's just a shame that people feel the need to belittle, deride and speak in condescending phrases. It rather reminds me of how people in high school end relationships.

6. Clean Cut Lawns

Clean Cut Lawns Banned

WHY DID MY POST GET DELETED??????:realmad:

7. fordhipo

fordhipo Junior Member

1 hour is ample time before the deleting started?

8. Chuckwk

Chuckwk Founder

Re: Re: To The Members

Remember, most people don't have the time to interact as much as some guys do... in some (most) working / business / family life situations people get their info/fill, maybe only 5 to 30 minutes, find what they were looking for, then go on about their life and business. (IMO)

9. fordhipo

fordhipo Junior Member

Re: Re: Re: To The Members

That's true, plus some like I am, Only a one man show on plowing that can contribute only so much.
    It was really an honest question if there are stats on that.

10. Chuckwk

Chuckwk Founder

Hey, you did a pretty good job throwing some numbers and estimates around. :) ..... I just hope you can learn one good thing and prosper from that in any way... business or personal.

11. fordhipo

fordhipo Junior Member

Went back to the top 30 posters post Chuck Smith did back in April. :D

Learned some and hope passed on some helpful info also.

12. Mike Nelson

Mike Nelson Senior Member

I will agree with JAA.

I visit this site anywhere from 1-6 times a day. Don't have a whole lot of time to be chatting this time of year. Shoot it even took me 3 days to catch up on current events here, things were moving so fast. :eek:

To all my fellow members that are offended and don't want to post here anymore. You are only hurting us members, not Sean.
    I understand the time and effort that goes into making this site happen and I would like to "thank" those people past and present. :salute: The bottom line is Snow and Ice and that we will continue to grow, trade info and help each other out.

Sincerely

Last edited: Nov 8, 2003
  13. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Yes as owner it is Sean's right to do whatever he wants. But, that doesn't necessarily make it right.

Maybe the ones that are having the problems are tight knit, but they are the ones posting the most and are able to help out the newbies the most, which is what Sean wants.

I hope it was the right decision to make.

14. Waterchikn

Waterchikn Senior Member

What I DO know

Sometimes change is good
    But TRADITION, it doesn't change

15. HerkFE

HerkFE Member

ProSno...what the heck was that? C'mon...

Geez, while I try to sit here and see both sides of the story, and although many may feel I have only the tip of the iceberg I have reached this conclusion.

If you don't like it here...leave already! I'd hate to see these guys go, Wyldman has helped me and the info I have garnered from Pelican and others is invaluable, but if that is their decision then GO! All these trolling posts about "seeing if this one gets left up" and "where is the thread" conspiracies are just a pile of (fill in your favorite term here). Sean has set his policy and it doesn't look like he is going to change it so accept it. If anyone here doesn't like what they see, just delete the bookmark for PS and move on to a place you feel suits you better. Talk about the downhill slide of the site, you guys are behind the sled and pushing with all you have...

Do I "respect the senior people"? You bet I do. I would love to see them here as members contributing to make this a great place. The better question is, "Do they respect us"? Obviously not, as they have chosen to take a personal battle quite public and continue to do so. This serves no good purpose. If they are leaving what are they trying to achieve as they exit? Please, just walk away and leave the rest of us who still enjoy the site to our own devices. As for those that may feel that I haven't "earned their respect". Well, in my book, a person has my respect from the start, I freely give them that. It is up to the individual to lose that respect and to be honest, you kind of have to work to do that.

To ALL concerned...don't let your pride get the best of this. Let's leave all this 3rd grade playground stuff behind, shake hands and move on, hopefully with EVERYONE still here. It would be much better that way....

16. HerkFE

HerkFE Member

Understood Pro, but then it should have been put into context... One-sidedness seems to be a major issue in this whole thing, right?

This whole thing is so darn screwed up... :( It's tough seeing friends go at it like this.

17. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

I have to agree with HerkFE.If your decision is to leave just get going.I hate to see you guys go, but all these posts are getting out of hand.Members that may just be joining are gonna see this and think its some kinds of 3rd grade group.It's time to get past whatever happened the insults are getting worse and thats not healthy for anyone or the site in general.

18. HandyHaver

HandyHaver Senior Member

Whatever happens out here will be the direct result of the administrations decisions. Only time will tell.

Mark

19. SnoJob67

SnoJob67 Senior Member

I've been attending this site and its predecessor(s) as long or longer than those who are in question. I may not have the vast knowledge some of them have, nor the mountain of helpful posts, but that makes my opinion no less valid.

I agree. I don't want a-n-y-o-n-e to leave, but won't be part of the begging or hero-worship I see. If you want to leave, please do so with the same style and class you showed as contributing members and moderators.

20. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

Sean, have you considered closing the doors here for a couple days and taking the weekend off? It'd give everybody a chance to cool off and reflect a little. It might be a smart business decision.