1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

To take or let Go

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DAZ982500, Oct 26, 2005.

1. DAZ982500

DAZ982500 Senior Member

I received a call last week from a Construction Co.( residential/commercial building), they wanted an estimate on 7 properties for plowing,salting and walkway clearence.I looked at all of them my current work load is about 15-20 driveways 1 apt complex (12 cars) a machine shop and who ever else may call in.This is the work, 3 houses standard driveways plus walkway, in/out 5-10 min $25+10 for snowblowing, uncertain at this time about salting of walkways, 2 subway 1hour-1.25hrs each, a BOCES(SCHOOL) and there office 1.25 hours.These are all lots problems that exist are these.One, they want the three business salted on the lot,I don't salt.Second, one business is 12 miles away from the major of properties.All walkways must be cleared of snow and salted ,i.e. broadcast spreader, most of this must be completed by 7am.I am solo I do know 2 other guys who maybe interested but I am uncertain.If my truck breaks down with residential I can manage with blower, with these I would be SOL.There business ,there does'nt appear any place to put snow. Looking straight on to the front of you is the building to the right is a house with a yard to left is another parking lot with parking bumpers dividing the two lots.I am thinking the snow may have to be removed I am not equipped for this.This may not be feasible for me with assistance and clarification of what is expected maybe.I run 1 3/4 ton Dodge Ram 7.5 Myer.Please advise.Thanks Dave.

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Just my opinion, but from what you're saying and the fact that you're questioning it, I'd say "pass on it". If it was right for you, you wouldn't be here asking about it.

3. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

Good call Mick. Sounds like this isn't one you want if you aren't going to be comfortable. What about the days when it starts snowing at 3am and stops at 9am when there is no place to put snow and there are cars there now? You have to know your limits, but don't be afraid to check out new opportunities. Never know when the next phone call is the one to take your business to the next level.

4. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

Just because there doesn't look to be anywhere to put snow, doesn't mean that if you talk to them, they'll tell you where they don't mind if where you put the snow.

Anyplace in town is going to be tough to put snow. As a plower you don't want to have the customer lose spaces in the parking lot, but at the same time, most clients will realize they lose spaces.

This is where communication comes in.

You have to meet your contact at each location, ask them where they would like to have the snow piled. If they say it needs to be removed, either say "I'm sorry, I'm not equipped", or get on the phone to people in your area that would be interested in subbing the work out.

As far as your plow breaking down, every guy out there lives with that. You can't pass on work just because you're "afraid". If that's the case, you need to get newer / better equipment.

As far as salting, I do smaller lots (banks, stripmalls) with a 80 lb broadcast spreader and bagged salt.

I realize this isn't the most cost effective way of doing things, but I get my money out of it and I don't have the maintenance that goes along with having a "real" spreader.

It can be done. Call the other 2 guys and see if they're interested in doing the sidewalks for you, or you do the sidewalks and have them plow. Sub them out, make $20 / hour or so off of their work. If the client wants a flat fee, get your "buddies" to do it for a percentage of that.

If none of these ideas seem to work out, then, pass.