1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

To swing or not to swing?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by The Boss, Feb 15, 2005.

1. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I just bought a Western 2000 swing away from a member and it's awesome. My only problem is I have ways of doing this.
    (1)Swing away which will make it easier for me to get my 2-stage out of the truck so my buddy can do walks. This will also mean having to drill holes in my bed rails and bumper which I hate to do because I want my truck to look good with no holes. I do have a way of plugging them so they're hardly noticeable when the brackets are off for the season. :cool:
    (2)Or I can convert it to receiver mount which I will then have to lift it on and off every time we need the 2-stage and some people say they hate because it moves around to much. Hmm, what to do? :confused:

I'd like to see some pics or hear some comments on what you guys have or recommend doing please. Thanks for any help. Boss.

2. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

What size holes are you talking? I would think you could find some plastic caps like for interior vehicle trim etc.

3. ProfessionalTou

ProfessionalTou Junior Member

I have a fisher 2000 swing away, and have the hitch mount..nice!! Instead of drilling holes there are 2 brackets that sit on the bumper for added support.If i need the snowblower out, i take out a pin and swing the salter out of the way.

4. The Boss1975

The Boss1975 Junior Member

You should take into consideration the weight that the spreader can hold.I have a buyers low profile tailgate spreader and it holds 860 lbs. I had it on the receiver before and there was alot of flex in the brackets.I now have the swing and it is great no man handling anything (except for loading salt to the spreader) I go to my supplier and he puts the whole skid in ,swing your gate and put 2 clips in and your done...I have plugs for my bracket holes in the summer but my truck is a work truck ...

5. STRONGARM

STRONGARM Senior Member

Hey,

I would only go swing away, this also makes it easier to load salt and you snowblower. I converted mine when I got it, works great.

6. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

Exactly what I was thinking. Why not try fabricating something that will mount to your hitch, use your bumper, bed, or rails for support, but will also swing away? Might not be the simplest at first but with a little math and a welder you could probably make a sick little set up.

7. Dieselman19

Dieselman19 Senior Member

I have the EXACT same problem i also have the western 2000 but the guy i bougght it from converted it to a hitch mount with isnt bad, but i have a hard time using my bed then i would like it to be swing away but the guy didnt give me the brackets so i have to make them or buy them but i wasnt happy about all the holes? THe hitch mount doesnt work the greatest because it moves all over the place and i cant load it completly full or the steel flexes', any suggfestion or anyone have a set of swing away brackets they want to sell???

Thanks
    Bob

8. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I don't want to drill holes either but sometimes sacrifices must be made. Like Oldmankent said, I'm going to find some interior plugs to plug the holes when the brackets are off.

9. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Just bought a Western 1000 series swingaway. To be installed tomorrow morning. I looked at a few and the weight of the salter loaded on the hitch is what I 1st thought of. Then the fact of being able to use the tailgate. I will be driving distances with it so I just felt safer going with the swing away. I also got the variable speed switch. Installed price of $1760.oo

I also looked at the Magnum 575 series. Anyone have one of these? Seemed to me that the motor is exposed on the bottom of the spreader. Have any problems? That motor hanging down like that is why I did not get it even though it was $500.oo cheaper.

10. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

can you post some pictures of the 1000 swing away i have the same unit w hitch mount and considering converting it
    john

`

11. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Will attempt to after I get it back to Illinois. I only carry a throwaway for plowing and only in case I need backup for something.

12. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

Jason,

Do you remember the "goal post" idea we talked about for the receiver mount? Why not utilize that and set up a swing away that rotates off of the goal post instead of the brackets on the truck & bumper? Either way you can't swing the spreader with a load in the hopper, nor should you drive with a full load in the hopper. Since the unit only weighs 120#'s you could build the goal post amd add the pieces of the swing away to the goal posts instead of attaching them to the bed.

13. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

[​IMG]

Rear.jpg

Last edited: Feb 18, 2005
  14. dasjuice

dasjuice Junior Member
    from RF

Does the model 1000 swing well with a load of salt in it. can anyone post a pic of it open?

15. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Drill the holes and most body shops carry plastic plugs.