1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

To sub or not to sub?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by kylecal91, Jan 5, 2010.

1. kylecal91

kylecal91 Junior Member

Hey guys this is my first year in biz and I have never plowed before in my life. I was just wondering if subcontracting or working for someone would be a better option at first? I know quite a few guys around here that are big in business and might have a shot working for one of them during the winter. Also, just wondering what the going rate is for a driver using his own equipment? I have a Dodge Ram 3500 so I know I can push snow but I currently have no plow.

2. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

do you have a salter, if not 50 since youve never plowed

3. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

I would sub for a company for atleast the season...Learn the ropes...As for pay..That depends on whats the going rate in your Area for a rookie is...Or i can just throw out some random number..Check with your friends..Good Luck and have a Great Winter...:salute:

4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

This late in the season you maybe only pushing a shovel.

5. kylecal91

kylecal91 Junior Member

Well I didn't really expect to get any jobs this late just maybe though. I'd have to find out. Plus I don't even have a plow yet. I don't need any more shoveling jobs, already got 11 by myself lol. Idk we'll see. Yeah I don't know what the going rate is

6. murray83

murray83 Senior Member

What plow you get will have a major effect on what your rate will be.

V plows will always get better rates compared to a basic straight blade,and as said above if you have a spreader or not comes into play as well.

7. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Keep shoveling and doing research before next year.