Snow Plowing Forum banner

To stud or not to stud?

2K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  roberto65 
#1 ·
I am planning on putting cooper m\s 235-70-18 and am considering having then studded for my 05 F350. Currently running cooper m\s 235 -65's. The reason I'm considering them is the only time I ever have have traction issues in on warmer days on steeper blacktop driveways. Thanks

Steamboat Springs, Colorado

#2 ·
roberto65;1082772 said:
I am planning on putting cooper m\s 235-70-18 and am considering having then studded for my 05 F350. Currently running cooper m\s 235 -65's. The reason I'm considering them is the only time I ever have have traction issues in on warmer days on steeper blacktop driveways. Thanks

I wouldn't. A good set of tires will get you traction in all winter condition's. Stud's are good but on wet, slushy roads/ lots they become even more squirley.

#4 ·
WIPensFan;1082786 said:
What's going to happen to the blacktop driveway?
He's going to leave nice racing stripes for years to come,lol

#6 ·
I did studded snow tires last year (Longmont, CO) and it was perfect timing, 6th snowiest winter ever
they were, in a word AMAZING
I didn't even think of having to plan ahead, the tires didn't slip, nothing.

bleeping amazing

worth every penny.

#8 ·
roberto65;1082772 said:

I just put on Cooper Discoverer ATR load range E . These tire say "Let's put the plow on."

#9 ·
LoneCowboy;1082828 said:
I did studded snow tires last year (Longmont, CO) and it was perfect timing, 6th snowiest winter ever
they were, in a word AMAZING
I didn't even think of having to plan ahead, the tires didn't slip, nothing.

bleeping amazing

worth every penny.
I would have to agree that studded snows can't be stopped. they may leave some marks but its a driveway, your plow scrapes some and thats no big deal. people would rather have a clean drive, especially the steep ones.

I had studs on my 2wh ranger back in '90, actually made it driveable in the winter.

#12 ·
lost an acct this year because we " scratched their blacktop" and they thought I should resealcoat 150 driveways. kicker is we use poly edges on the drives. can't imagine using studs, but if your in the mountains it may be needed. check out walnut and glass mixture they work great and don't mar drives.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.