1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

To Sno-Foil or Not to Sno-Foil...

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Wicked500R, Oct 21, 2007.

1. Wicked500R

Wicked500R Senior Member

I'm trying to decide on weather or not I should run one this year. It looks like it would be good in the under 4" storms but I see problems in the deep stuff....On straight blade pushes I see alot more snow going out the sides than rolling over the top...Tell me your opinions and experiences. Thanks!

2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

What are you mainly plowing..resi or comm? Resi accounts you probably don't really need it but if you have commercial, especially where space is an issue and you can really roll the snow to the side, then you'll probably love having it. Gas mileage will be even worse, but will be recovered in quicker plow times on long pushes. I think you'll also see good performance from it with storms a bit more than 4" but ive never used one, ive just seen them used.

3. Wicked500R

Wicked500R Senior Member

I'm strictly commercial. I don't dabble with the houses anymore.. Those days are long gone...LOL. After a few runs and the runoff gets to be deep, I see the sno-foil preventing the snow from rolling over the top. Sometimes I go crazy and throw snow off the blade to try and get the runoff from accumulating in one row....The see the foil preventing that...I also see problems having to blast through heavy deep snow with the blade straight to keep the truck from kicking out to the side...

4. chaseatg

chaseatg Member

I recommend a snofoil when used for long runs such as roadways or when windrowing large lots. If you have to do any back dragging then a rubber deflector would be the practical choice.

5. BlueLine Ent

BlueLine Ent Senior Member

Go with a rubber foil, it keeps the snow spray down, but it allows you to throw the snow nicely.

6. Bernie Lomax

Bernie Lomax Senior Member

Last edited: Dec 5, 2007
  7. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Find some conveyor belt (local mining company, quarry, large supply yard, etc.) and make one yourself!

8. Bernie Lomax

Bernie Lomax Senior Member

9. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

with the rubber belting whats a good stick out length from the top edge of blade to tip of rubber flap?

i got some heavy duty 3 layer fabric/4 layer rubber from local rock crusher plant. its flexy but stiff . and i bolted it down so the arch is down from the way it had run forever.

10. ppease

ppease Member
    from Maine

I plowed with my friends truck thae past two seasons. He had a 9 footer on an F350 dump, with the snow foil. I didn't care for it, we did mostly parking lots. It's easy to hit stuff with it, I put in a couple of dents myself. Also, for stacking it's a drag. It tends to pull down alot of snow. If you did roads, I could see it. But for the most part, the rubber deflector is the way to go, IMO.