1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

to shoe or not to shoe

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by captbo, Jan 6, 2010.

1. captbo

captbo Senior Member

I have a plow I bought used with no fshoe's or feet I see alot of people without them, while at the supply hse the man behind the counter said "you only need them if you are plowing gravel"

what is your take and why?

it would seem to me that with no shoe's the direct blade contact would have more resistance and be somewhat harder to move!
  2. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

On gravel you need shoes so you won't push the grave into the person yard. Some resident and commercial property owners don't want there "gravel driveways" torn up to a point to were they have to add more gravel. If that becomes the case, they will back charge the plow company. Without shoes is good for solid road, or driveways..
  3. gottaluvplows

gottaluvplows Senior Member

This is true^^^^^^^^^^

I plow Subs (paved) so i just take the shoes off because that gives the blade full contact to the pavement which make the sub look alot better what i would do is if you know you plow gravel buy a pair of shoes and take them on and off..
  4. wideout

wideout Senior Member
    from iowa

I dont run them never have even when i plow gravel i just bump the blade up a little and dont seem to have any problems witn customers complaining.
  5. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Rough estimate, 99.5% of guys on here don't have shoes on their plow.
  6. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

i would say thats pretty accurate
  7. Green Grass

Green Grass PlowSite Fanatic

only use shoes to keep my feet warm. The plow gets cold feet cause shoes didn't even come with the plow.
  8. Mister Plow

Mister Plow Senior Member

My plow likes wearing shoes for the first part of winter. Once it gets used to the cold, (and there is a good layer of snow on the gravel driveway) It likes to go barefoot.
  9. Gear_Head

Gear_Head Senior Member
    from IL

I use shoes on my gravel drive. Otherwise you either push gravel in the yard or never get close enough
  10. MattR

MattR Senior Member

I am part of that 99.5% also and honestly I have only gravel drives to plow. Not a single paved one. Seems like most plow guys in my area try to stay away from the gravel drives. Even my own drive is gravel.

For the first storm this year (10" snowfall) I just raised the plow about an inch or two and plowed the rest into a pile. The 1-2 left on the gravel gets packed down and creates a good base for later plowing. Once you have a packed base, just lower the plow like normal and make some money.

majority of people understand that having a gravel driveway means gravel in the lawn when the snow melts. I still include the gravel/lawn issue in my contract form.

11. captbo

captbo Senior Member

Thanks Glad to hear from you all
  12. firefighter4418

firefighter4418 Junior Member

i dont use shoes at all during the season i got a pipe for my truck and then when everything frezzes up i just run my cutting edge
  13. Dodge Plow Pwr

Dodge Plow Pwr Senior Member

No shoes on pavment and rarely do I use them on gravel unless it is fresh / firsst snow of the year and it is not packed yet. Otherwise gravel gets a bump up of the controller to stop it from digging in. No complaints yet.
  14. Mattsautobody

Mattsautobody Member

I have them on mine, i just swap washers depending on the driveway, busted up concrete and gravel, i put the shoes down further, or because i dont salt, don't wanna uncover ice and have people trip orr slip
  15. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

i have em and dont use em! the shoes dig into the gravel for me and i have piles either way! i wait till its frozen to even touch it
  16. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

I hate shoes, of 67 accounts and 27 plow trucks we have shoes on 1 of them, and only because that truck plows a concrete parking deck where we have ripped out metal expansion joint covers. Did 4 in a storm last season, so far this year with 4 pushes one of the shoes caught 1 and bent it a little.
  17. Mattsautobody

Mattsautobody Member

some back drag blades have you take them out
  18. billet-boy

billet-boy Member

"When plowing in dirt or gravel, lower the plow shoes. This will raise the blade so you don't scrape the surface away. When plowing on asphalt or concrete, raise or remove the plow shoes so that you scrape as close to the surface as possible."

This is a quote from bossplows.com in there plowing tips section
  19. Hysert

Hysert PlowSite.com Addict

Hey Bud F the shoes..... cleaner finish on pavement, concrete as well as peace of mind for people slipping.... as for gravel just pick it up a bit works for me anyways.....