1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

To "Shoe" or not to "Shoe"...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Shortstuff, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Shortstuff

Shortstuff Member

I just got my new Fisher 8'HD plow and have another question for the experienced ones. I've done my searches and there are many mixed opinions about whether to use the blade shoe assemblies and most recommend to remove them and go without. I have zero snow plow experience and will be using mine for personal use.

The blade comes with the two 6" cast iron shoe assemblies, and my understanding is that the shoes are primarily for plowing dirt/gravel areas. 80% of my intending plowing is on paved driveway and not all are in the best of conditions and the rest is on dirt and some gravel drives.

What do you recommend?

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Real men don't wear shoes.
  3. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Shoes are for feet. Once successful trick when plowing gravel or dirt is to cut a piece of PVC pipe open lengthwise and put it on the blade so it does not dig in as much but rather rides on top of the dirt/gravel.
  4. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

I plow alot of gravel driveways and I don't use shoes. If you don't use shoes it scrapes better.
  5. bigmudder77

bigmudder77 Senior Member
    from wooster

i never used shoes when plowing drive ways i just had it lifted a little and it did fine when i put it all the way down to take like all the weight off the truck i cut in had it a little lifted it did pretty good
  6. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

From my experience if the dirt or gravel isn't frozen yet or very uneven then I would use the shoes. Most times no shoes,just my 2 cents:waving:
  7. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

They make great paperweights....not much good for anything else. IMO
  8. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Shoe's are completely useless for plowing gravel. Take them off and throw them somewhere. JMO
  9. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

When you start plowing early in the season, you will need to keep the blade up to avoid digging in. Once the ground is frozen solid, you can drop it with no problem You'll get the hang of it pretty quickly. Just go slowly to start.
  10. ColumbiaLand

ColumbiaLand Senior Member

Take them off and put them on ebay, a lot of homeowners will buy them.
  11. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

They also make good canoe ankers.
  12. SuperdutyShane

SuperdutyShane PlowSite.com Addict

Haha :D

Congrats on getting a new plow. I dont think I even have to say no shoes, it seems the other members made it nice and clear :p
  13. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Assuming you meant anchors (we have spell check, big yellow button on right at bottom of post) if you use Fisher feet for canoes then if you have a real boat you use the whole plow?
  14. tinffx

tinffx Member

I have never seen a flat gravel or dirt drive. I have also never seen a shoe installed on a plow. I would go with that
  15. TerrForms

TerrForms Member

I used them the first year on gravel then took them off! If it ain't froze, it ain't froze. Plow 90% gravel. No particular use for them. Now a rubber cutting edge is something else on gravel.
  16. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

ROFL :D:drinkup: