1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

To Salt or not too Salt!!!

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Clapper&Company, Jan 18, 2008.

Would u salt?

1. Yes

2. No

1. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

Lets see what every one thinks!!!

Heres the deal:

We got snow pack on the ground, Lots are cleat haven't had any snow for 24 hrs or so.

At 9am its 30* and snow flakes are falling...But not sticking yet.
    At 10am it changes to more of a rain... and has warmed up to 33* ish

So it is.... Do to the rain and it being right around frezzing do you salt????

I know what we do, and why we do it. Just wanted to see what othere say about this.
  2. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

I would say no wait till the temps drop and then salt or keep a check of the temps on the lots to see if it is freezing.
  3. qualitylawncare

qualitylawncare Senior Member

Depends what temps are going to do for the rest of the day. If you've reached your high temp for the day, I would salt now. Otherwise wait until later, and do it overnight to prevent freeze up in the morning.

If there is ice now, I would lay down the salt as usual, and then check on it again later, laying down more if required..

Thats what we do:waving:
  4. MB3

MB3 Senior Member

I agree, what are the temps going to be like. Last night we had a storm that dropped 3 inchs of wet snow, if you kept up with the salting, it melted away. That night, the slush started to freeze, but this morning it was going up to 44, I still plowed the slush away from where the cars were, and still salted the lot. I am not going to court because the owner wants to be cheap, I am covering my butt, and if they don't like it, they can find someone else, one trip to court, and I would lose more than I would make on their contract.
  5. Plowin in VT

Plowin in VT Senior Member

As previous posters said, it all depends on the expected high temp for the day, but yea, I'd probably salt. 32* is freezing and the temp is only at 33*... it's a little too close, and I'd rather salt one time too many and cover myself...

So what did YOU do Clapper?
  6. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

If it is going to get cold then salt. better safe then sorry. Ta dow!!!!
  7. rjfetz1

rjfetz1 Senior Member
    from CT.

Well this morning I had the same condition - it was close to 6:30 when people were going to leaving. I had to salt, even though the temp. was going up to 40ish, because my contract says "safe for travel at all times"
  8. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

SALT...without a doubt!
  9. Clapper&Company

from NE OHIO

Just so you all know..............

We had this happen the other day..... It was 33* at noon with rain....It was clear we were in the heat of the day, and that as the sun went down it could frezz up.

Yes we did salt all the lots, and walks that we do!!
    - Just wanted to see what otheres would do.
  10. qualitylawncare

qualitylawncare Senior Member

Sweet.. PM me with your address so I can bill you for the consultation..

SNOWLORD Senior Member
    from MN

I would definately salt.
  12. carcrz

carcrz Senior Member

I always figure better safe than sorry. If it's not a busy place, I'd probably wait a little. If it's just drizzly out, then I'd to it then also. That drizzle can get really slick when it freezes & it's hard to see.
  13. Clapper&Company

from NE OHIO

Yep I agree
  14. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

i would salt.......i don't get paid for not salting