1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

To salt or not to salt?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by clncut, Aug 20, 2004.

1. clncut

clncut PlowSite.com Addict

I was wondering how many of you salt? Ive been reading alot on the possible damages done from salt and was thinking of having my customers salt at their discretion. I currently only due residential and would be salting with a broadcast spreader.

Should I go ahead and just salt and state Im not responsible for possible damages from salt or just let the homeowner take care fo it themselves and state that in the contract?

Thanks, john

2. VBigFord20

VBigFord20 Senior Member

I can tell you this. My family has been in cement contracting for close to 50 years, and salt is the worsed possible thing and will almost always spauld cement. If you do salt, make sure its in your contract that you are not responsable for spaulding.

3. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

ive been salting for years and if you use the right products you can make more money salting than plowing. mag works great and the price is cheaper than cal but the customers need to understand what they are buying and what the results are going to be just get the details up front with the customers..

4. firststarkid

firststarkid Junior Member

I use a salt subsitute that is a liquid and spread it with a normal turf sprayer. I think it works better. but when i have salt it state that i am not responsible for damages on driveways and walkways.

5. wstwind

wstwind Senior Member

have been using a 25% salt/sand mix for years and have never had a problem.
    you should always have a liabillity clause for you customers.

lots of ice up here and no snow. 3 in. for the entire season!!!!!!