1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

To salt or not to salt

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Canplow, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Canplow

Canplow Senior Member

Im new to larger lot plowing and do not have in the contract to salt its a gravel lot what advantage is it to salt will not salting affect plowing? Maybe I should just go salt the gravel lot since its 45* out let it get cold then snow!:sleeping:

2. G.Landscape

G.Landscape Senior Member
    from Ontario

Punctuation can be a good place to start....

If its not in the contract then don't do it. Usually don't salt gravel lots, yea they can get messy but salt doesn't help the situation.

3. Canplow

Canplow Senior Member

Sorry to anyone with a English major in here. I didn't mean to make your brain work on stupid mode! I was not going to salt it at all, Nor take the liability for ice build up . I'm just wondering pros and cons and looking for others thoughts! Thank you for your opinion and F the spell check:dizzy:

4. G.Landscape

from Ontario

You should be spreading sand on these lots to avoid slip and fall issues. You should have a contract that states what your doing and not doing. Sounds like you don't have one. With any lot but especially in gravel lots is to pile snow on the downhill side to prevent run off and icing up overnight.

Hopefully this helps a little more, didn't meant to be too much of a dick

5. Canplow

Canplow Senior Member

No problem or worries other then no snow yet! I have a solid contract no salt or sand only plow and shovel the building manager is to shovel stairs and condo entrances and do any salting needed, My thoughts were that salt may be cheaper than plowing for an inch or less but on the other side ice build up and runoff streams may make the lot worse tymusic

6. G.Landscape

from Ontario

Salt won't spread or melt the snow as it would on asphalt. Last time we had a gravel lot it had a higher trigger then our other lots because plowing 1" didn't do much because you could scrape.

7. Canplow

Canplow Senior Member

thats pertty much what I thought was looking for a little reasurence next year their going to pave it so will worrie about it till then