1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

To Plow or not to Plow...in OD

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by MsQueen, Oct 19, 2003.

1. MsQueen

MsQueen Member

Do you plow in Overdrive? Or regular drive? Thx.

2. tovoninc

tovoninc Senior Member

I may be all wet here but I think overdrive only applies at highway speeds. If you haul a trailer for example, you turn off OD to keep the tranny from going into OD and bogging the engine. If may not be a bad idea to turn off OD but I doubt you'll ever get there.

3. ProSno

ProSno Senior Member

If your in a parking lot it wont matter because you'll never go fast enough to have it go into overdrive. When you lock it out of overdrive it still shifts the same but will not upshift into overdrive. I will say this, over the road to the next job in the snow I keep it out of overdrive, When I'm plowing it doesnt matter. Just my 2 cents.:jester:

4. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

I agree with above. If I had one of the newer ford or GM's I would use the tow haul mode however.
    Dino

Last edited: Oct 19, 2003
  5. Rooster

Rooster Member
    from Kansas

Be safe, turn off overdrive.

I do and never had had a tranny issue.

Rick

6. plowking35

from SE CT

Rooster
    Unlike the Fords and Dodges, her year GM doesnt have that option. She would need to manally put the gear selector in 3 every time.
    Dino

7. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

OD

conventional wisdom and owner's manuals state "don't use OD when carrying a load" . An attached snowplow is carrying a load

8. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

unless your plowing at 35mph
    its not going to matter
    overdrive only comes in play at highway speeds

cardoctor

:yow!:

9. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

OD

over the road speeds would engage overdrive . It should have been stipulated the the converter will not lock up until reaching the programmed drive shaft speed. Tow -Haul doenst lock out the overdrive signal ?

10. ProSno

ProSno Senior Member

What Cardoctor said.:angel:

11. Joey D

Joey D Senior Member

I leave it in O/D always

12. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

oops

I didn't realize that Chevrolet leaves the overdrive control to them .(to Bad) I direct my comments to those vehicles that allow overdrive control

13. Adams plowing

Adams plowing Senior Member

Well its your choice to leave it in or turn it off either by putting the shifter into 1 2 or 3, Useing the tow/hall feature that some chevys have but i know this one thing you dont need OD for plowing so why not shut it off atleast you know you wont blow your tranny because you were plowing in od.

14. Jay ALC

Jay ALC Senior Member

I turn my OD off when plowing. When towing my large trailer I leave OD off in town but once up to speed on the highway I let OD kick in.

15. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

you also have to remember that while in 4 low it is *possable* for the transmission to shift into overdrive while coasting, the durango shifts to OD in low at 15 mph with a light foot

16. Adams plowing

Adams plowing Senior Member

Exactly yet another good reason to just disengage the OD

17. plowking35

from SE CT

Ok again with her truck you can not lock out the OD, it is only a gear selection.
    Dino

18. sno-mover

sno-mover Senior Member

I always drove without it, but it wont come on until about 45mph.

19. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

it all depends on if she plows in low range or high range, if high range then there is nothing to worry about. low range is another story, but if the transmission is in od there must not be much load on it to begin with. surely any load that is applied to the vehicle that results in the throttle being applied will cause a downshift into 3rd.

20. wyldman

wyldman Member

Just use OD,it doesn't matter.In low range it may shift into overdrive,but it won't hurt anything.The added gear reduction will reduce the load,so it's no big deal.