1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

To paint Or not to paint????

Discussion in 'Eureka Fluid Film' started by vmj, Nov 8, 2009.

1. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

I always paint up the frame on my mason dump before winter.. This year i am spraying underneath with FF. I was wondering if i should paint or is this going to affect the FF from penatrating into rusted areas being they will be covered with paint? What would you do? Thanks

2. Sabsan84

Sabsan84 Senior Member

Hi VJM,

In my years of dealing with truck frames, I would paint it, then u can "prevent" rust from happening, why wait for it to rust more, FF is not going to make the frame look and perform like a painted one, I would just prime and paint and undercoat it good. Best of luck

3. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

It's not like i sand it or anything i just spray it with semi gloss out of a spray can.

4. SKYNYRD

SKYNYRD Senior Member

spray can jobs don't last but, i'm sure you knew this lol. fluid film will continue to soak deep into the metal to attack the rust where it started. paint just covers up the problem. i put one coat of fluid film on my truck a while back then added a second coat a few weeks later just to play it safe. the first coat never "dried up" but it certainly soaked in and did not stay as "wet" as i wanted it to thus the reasoning for the second coat. it's now been several more weeks and the second coat is every bit as wet as it was when first applied:salute:

5. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

skip the paint and use the FF

6. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

That what i was kinda leaning towards. figuring painting over the rust spots whouldn't let FF soak in where it is needed too. THANKS..

7. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

I have been "undercoating" with FF, my 05 Dodge for the last 5 years.........no rust .......

8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Tough to beat the FF for metal that has been in service. Unless you sandblast you will never get every spec of rust off. Paint over it, it will just keep rusting.