1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

To neutralize road salt on your truck

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by SnoFarmer, Nov 20, 2015.

1. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Road salt, an ice-melting substance, is often part of a sand mixture spread over roadways before or after an ice or snow storm. This can lead to rust formation on the undercarriage of your vehicle. Rust can also form on any area of your vehicel that the road salt touches, and is even destructive to farm equipment and other metal machinery. To stop the rusting process, you can neutralize road salt and remove it from your vehicle before it can cause any damage.

In a bucket, mix 2 tbsp. of baking soda with 1/2 cup of automotive wash and 1/2 gallon of water.. Stir the mixture .

Apply the mixture to the undercarriage and any other areas of your vehicle containing road salt or a salt/sand mixture.

You can run this just as you do soap threw your power washer.

then spray/rinse your vehicle with water to remove the cleaning mixture.

:mechanic:

2. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

I like this, preemptive answers

Sticky time

3. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

4. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Thx.

I'm doing community service,
    Working to get my sentence lowered to double secrete probation .:drinkup:

5. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

I rember that, it looked like it did do a good job.
    I'm just not comfortable with the acid.
    Will it etch if not rinsed off?

I know we use all sorts of mild acids everyday.
    Still....

And most of use have some baking soda in our frig that we could use.

6. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

I used HALF of the recommended amount of oxalic acid, just so it didn't do any damage. It's the main ingredient in "salt away". I sprayed my exterior surface of my truck, and found no remnants of it. My paint is in good shape, and I'm sure if you had a vehicle that had poor paint on it, and you wiped a booger on it, it would stain...:nono: No ill effects that I'm aware of.

:D

There are stronger versions of baking soda as well, but I would think it would leave a whitish residue, no ?

7. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

The residue would continue to naturalize to a point,
    Salt spray is white and that will be back in no time....
    And I rinse the mageviers out of it , I've never noticed any.

Haven't tryed salt away and I'm sure you can find oxalic acid at the lumber yard
    Cheeper. Just never used it...

8. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

I might have to try this this winter. I was thinking of making a spray wand with a bunch of nozzles that could be hooked up to our power washer at work and hopefully make a design that could be driven over (obviously no nozzles where the wheels would be passing) so that we could wash all the undersides quick.

9. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

One thing I found over the summer at Lowes was a gutter cleaning wand. It's about 6ft long with a (roughly) 90 degree bend and comes out like a pressure washer. It would be an excellent under carriage cleaning tool.

10. jhall22guitar

I will have to look into that. We have 4 vans, 3 pickups, a minibus and a Fuso to try and keep clean, and the towns love to use alot of salt. Need something to get them clean but not take too long since we dont have too much downtime and every dept keeps their vehicles in different places :dizzy:

11. Jaynen

Jaynen Senior Member

I use dish soap and water then scrub and rinse off. Then oil spray right away. Do it once before winter and once after winter. Messey job and alot of work though.

12. juspayme

juspayme Senior Member

Rick fennel has done both my trucks , he sells cans on his website. He is in butler pa look up on goggle

13. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I neutralized the salt on my old skidsteer once.................

14. jhall22guitar

We used fluid film at a company I worked for previously. Seemed to work pretty well. We did it before the season and then halfway through.

15. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

dont waste your money, the stuff stinks up a new truck.
    salt spray off of your wheels washes it off so does a carwash.. and it attracts dirt.

and at what cost. every year, 2 or more applications a year.:dizzy: there are cheaper alternatives.

16. jhall22guitar

I realized that when I left, luckily I wasn't the one paying the bill for it :D

17. whdahel

whdahel Junior Member

What do you use as a cheap alernative?? I was thinking of using bar oil? It says it jas rust inhibitor in it.