1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

To Much $?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by JD822, Sep 25, 2011.

1. JD822

JD822 Member

Alright, looked at a '06 F250 Ex. Cab Long Box 6.0L 4x XL. It has 276k on the odo. At 230K the engine was torn apart and $8800 worth of repairs done (valves, egr cooler, Oil pump, injectors, all gaskets, etc.). Then a few months later another $2k done to it. Had it checked out yesterday and it checked out great except for a oil leak (oil down both front and rear of engine). Dealer said might be injector seals or a fitting. Have to wait until Monday when the diesel tech is in to find out the issue for sure. My question is it worth the $12995 being asked for it? The truck is in great condition and was told the majority of the miles are highway hauling a gooseneck out west and back. Should I roll the dice and grab it considering 4 other guys want it? i knwo the miles are high, but it seems to be a hell of a deal in my area especially since it has had all these repairs done. Just wanted to know what you guys think. Thanks.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2011
  2. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

that is dealer price. once you drive it off the lot it will only be worth about $6,000.

for 10 grand, an brand new engine could have been put in it instead of band-aiding 230k engine

i would run very far away from that thing very fast.

3. JD822

JD822 Member

He is asking that based on NADA avg trade-in. Clean retail is over $18k still. Also this is a private party, should of mentioned that. Sorry! haven't been sleeping well the last few nights because of this truck. And been tossing and turning since I had it checked out whether to run or buy. I also thought that, why not just put a new one in for the same monies, I would have. But some people's logic is crazy. He said that he told the dealer (brought in due to a no start issue but didnt go into detail over it) to go through it and nothing up to spec to replace. It was advertised as being completely rebuilt but found out it wasn't. Possibly like you said band aided. I trust my dealer. They are aweome and very truthful. They said it checked out great, everything is in line, and could go another 250k if it was fully rebuilt. When I told him about what was done, he looked a bit concerned also. But said it could just be a couple injector o rings, a loose oil cap, something like that but the diesel tech wont be in until Monday. To me, even if it was gone through and what was needed replaced, to have been driven 47K and have oil dripping from the front and back just doesn't seem right. And it also has green coolant in it. The seller told me it is to preserve the seals that the gold destroys. My dealer guy also knows I don't have thousands just laying around to spend. I have been doign business with this particular dealer's service dpt. since '98, so I do trust them 100%. But I just wanted to get opinions.

Thanks tjctransport for the input. I like the truck but man dont need to pay on a truck and plow then need to put in an engine. I would really be :gunsfiring: I might have to pass and keep on the search.

4. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

JD I agree with the other reply. I was a mechanic for years and years at a Ford dealership and a couple other places and trust me, high miles are high miles. Yes things were replaced or rebuilt but everything else still has 200k plus on it. Unless that truck was absolutely spotless and a few grand cheaper, I would pass. For 5k more we got our 05 F350 4x4 flatbed which is in mint condition. Yes it needed a few things but now is like brand new and only 83k on it now.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2011
  5. abbe

abbe Senior Member
    from RI

Run like hell

6. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

take a pass, I think that the truck is going to need 1000's more in repairs

7. JD822

JD822 Member

It is in excellent condition. One scratch on tehe passenger's door. Otherwise no rust and is nice. Has a new bed liner hiding allot of bed damage though and the bodside ont he driver's side has been replaced, but wouldn't tell me why. Interior wise, it has a couple of broken vents, cracks in the vinyl seat, and a remote start that doesn't work. I think I will look for something else after thinking about it. Spend aa bit more and fidning something better with lower miles. T/Y for your impression.

Yes sir, am going to do just that! T/Y for your input also!

That is what I am afraid of. If it had all this work done to it and 47K later it has oil all over the engine/tranny, I am going to be putting money into right away. I am thinking what is next? I don't have the $ to spend to do major repairs after Ibought it, the blade, and fixed whatever it needs right now. And considering that everything was only brought back up to specs, how long is it going to last before I am footing a $8800 bill? T/Y for your input also, much appreciated.

Well, I am just going to continue looking. This thing has already gave me a bit of hesitation but the self doubt to pass it up was pushing me. I want to thank all you guys for your input on this rig. And giving me a bit of confidence on what I guess I already knew. Thanks again all and cheers!

8. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

9. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

What color truck? I think I had see that on auction last month. It say engine been rebuilt professor.

Was bed floor damage tons of dents and had gooseneck? If yes RUN AWAY. They run them to death like nobody can believe. They rid of 08 F350 reg cab 4wd srw with 6.4L they put 8 packs leaf springs in rear. It had 176K miles. It sold for $9K

That truck sold around $5000 on auction in Grand Rapid.

10. JD822

JD822 Member

That is definitely one nice rig. A bit more then what I am able to do right now. I found a F250 RC LB with the 5.4L I am going to take a gander at. has 104k on the odo, 1 owner. My tech told me to ask about the plugs since they have those stupid two piece design plugs (why Ford, WHY????) and see if he has ever changed them. If not, then I am passing on that. I did find a decent Chevy CC SB 4x also, looks well maintained. Might go talk to my old sales rep who sold me my Dodge years ago and see what he can do on it. he is now the dealer manager so might give me a good price. It has a 6.0L with 120k I believe. With limited funds right now and trying to get my bus back up and running makes it tough. I appreciate you looking for me swtiih. It is nice to be able to run things by you guys and get advice on things. Thumbs Up

11. JD822

JD822 Member

It was red. Yes, it said it was a Rebuilt/reman engine by Fox Ford of G.R. When my mechanic checked it out, he said the bedliner was new, and then pulled it out to check the box side since he noticed overspray under the left side of the truck. I tell you, the bed was dented all to hell. And it had a gooseneck hitch. I think he said it was a "flip side" or something like that. The ball removes and then you can store it upside down. Sorry if I am wrong about that, not up on my trailering lingo! :laughing:

Makes me wonder if it is the same truck. But I decided to just let one of the "other" 4 guys buy it he has lined up. Thanks to the help of all you great people adding your input and "looking out" for others in the bus. and going back into the bus.! I have learned allot about things I never knew about these trucks and the current equipment available. Much appreciated. :salute:

12. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

If you really want that truck at cheap price. Check www.repocast.com then search ford

13. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

A quick tip, anytime you see ANY coolant on a 6.0, run away and don't look back.

14. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care Senior Member

I would not buy that truck if I were you!

15. mustangman02232

mustangman02232 Senior Member

If your good at turning wrenches, and know how to fix 6 leakers properly you can specifically look for them, buddy of mine baught an 04 with 90k on it 2 years ago for 4500 bucks. even after putting in parts, he still got it cheaper then what the OBS 7.3s are going for around here.

i would NOT however pay 13k for an 06 with 276k on it,

16. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

No way in hell. That engine might only have xxx miles on it, but the rest of that truck and tranny sure as hell don't. It just doesn't pay, especially if you plan to beat on it with a plow.