1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

to much weight?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by QKSnowRemoval, Dec 23, 2009.

1. QKSnowRemoval

QKSnowRemoval Senior Member

This is kinda stupid question but, can you have to much ballast weight
    ? And if so does it affect how the plow scrapes? I ask this due to the fact that western site say i should have only 170 but as of now i have 10 sand tubes that are 60 to 65 a peace so that 600 to 650 of ballast weight. Is this good or bad even tho western says i only need 170 and this is on a 1500 with hts plow, o by the way the plow weights 425 450
  2. thesnowman269

thesnowman269 Senior Member

Having ballast in the back of your truck should in no way affect how the plow scrapes because its the weight of the plow that creates the "down preasure" for scrapping. So no ballast cannot affect your plows scrapping ability. UNLESS you have a chain lift system and did not leave enough slack in the chain for the plow to touch the ground.
  3. overtime

overtime Senior Member

I put 800 in back of mine. Boss said I should have about 660.
  4. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

The Ballast picks the front of the truck up to be more level. It doesn't pick up the plow. Not to mention that it gives you much more traction.
  5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

No problem with more weight. More makes plowing easier too. The only way it would affect scraping is if you put so much weight in that you raised the mounts on the front of the truck. That would be alot. I think what you are running is fine.
  6. QKSnowRemoval

QKSnowRemoval Senior Member

well thankx for the great insight guys, btw i know how ballest works but i didnt know about how much u could put in.
  7. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

Just to give you an idea, my ideal ballast weight is supposed to be 450 pounds. I carry about 1300 pounds of salt in the back of my truck to kill two birds with one stone, ballast, as well as salt for my lots.
  8. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

We run 980lbs in the back of our f-350 and it does great, I think your fine.
  9. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I run around 800-900 lbs of ballast.