1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

to much weight on z71 front end?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by jbwerling, Nov 4, 2006.

1. jbwerling

jbwerling Junior Member

I just had my standard duty 7.5 installed on my z71 and I had trouble turning my steering at a stand still. In fact it didn't want to turn at all. I have to be moving for it to turn. I also just installed timbrens. I'm wondering if something is binding. It feels like the truck is resting on the timbrens at all times, even when the plow is off. Is that normal? What can I do to correct this problem? Would tightning the torsion bars help?:confused:

2. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

my truck acts the same with the plow on. it is difficult if not impossible to steer. its just the added wieght on your front axle that causes the difficulty in steering.

3. peterk800xc

peterk800xc Senior Member

TSB on this problem

I had the exact same problem happening to me from day #1 after putting a BN 7.5 plow on my 04 Silverado.At first I too thought it was from the weight of the plow , I went to the dealer and 1 of the mechanics overheard me telling the service manager about the no power steering until the trucks underway.He said there is a TSB on this problem. Seems the power steering pumps have a valve in them and some were faulty.They can be adjusted but the pump supposedly has to be torn down and seeing mine is still nder warranty-they put a BN pump on it.It seemed to help but last week when getting the plow out of storage, it happened again.No steering at slow speeds. Back to the dealers and they did some further testing and found a bad steering box.Got it back yesterday, put the plow on it and could not tell it was even on when turning the wheel.Hopefully yours won't need a box but have it checked out.

4. jbwerling

jbwerling Junior Member

Thanks. I was at a loss for a little while. Yeah, I hope its not as bad as what you say. What is a TSB?

5. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

With the plow on do NOT turn the wheels unless you are moving.
    It is very hard on every thing up front, if you try to turn the wheel when your standing still.

6. PDQ Pete

PDQ Pete Senior Member

Don't forget your ballast some wait in the back helps out.:nod:

7. millsaps118

millsaps118 Senior Member

Technical Service Bulletin- Only dealers and repair shops find out about these. They are released from the factory's to shops so mechanics are aware of some of these problems. Auto makers will release TSB's on minor to moderate problems they are having with vehicles. They will recall the issue once it becomes a safety hazard or a serious problem.

Good luck with you truck.