1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

to much salt

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by stslawncare, Feb 12, 2002.

1. stslawncare

stslawncare Senior Member

Well guys before winter i went out and boutgh 200 lbs of salt preparing myself for the big winter. well i have used about 5 lbs of it tops. by the end of winter i will have used 20 lbs tops, unless a miracle happens and we get a good storm. my question is can i store this stuff until next winter, one bag has been opened but the other 3 are sealed shut (may have a poke hole here and there). they will be in my garage and shuold stay dry, however it can get damp in there.

2. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

We put a piece of Duct tape over those. If it's stored indoors it should be ok. We had about 90 left over from last year, stored outdoors but under roof, and they went through the salter just fine this year.

3. landman

landman Senior Member
    from NJ

I wish I had your problems. How bout this, I'll store your salt if you store mine. Your salt should be fine if it's dry. we are probably going to be storing about 150-80# bags of peladow, 250-50# bags of rock salt, and 80 tons of bulk, we'll use the 30 ton of sand in various landscape jobs this season but I guess I have a bigger storage problem then you.

4. earth works inc.

earth works inc. Member

200 pounds - should keep just fine. What if we trade ? I got close to 80 tons of rock salt and 4000 pounds of calcium for sidewalks. May be on friday i can get rid of some.

You can always use it for making ice cream in the summer.

Shouldnt be a problem. keep it indoors.

5. Lockman

Lockman Junior Member

Posted this before but didn't get any takers. We still have 2 1/2 drums of ice ban liquid will it store over the summer?

6. flmusj

flmusj Junior Member

Lockman
    WE have 450 gal. stored from last season in a plastic tank. Yours should be fine.

7. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

Keep it dry and you'll be ok

I have had a couple of pallets of Calcium chloride and Magic Salt left over from time to time after a less than active season and I have always had good luck keeping it inside.

You might get some clumping on the calcium, but I havent seen any on the Magic salt.

Of course, Im gonna have plenty of material left over this year, bought 9 pallets of Magic, maybe used one maybe two pallets so far and there is no sight in the forseeable future.

Oh well, the hospital has saved $100K so far this winter so I guess Im still in good shape. Plus I most likely will have plenty for next year if the weather guessers are correct in their assumption that El Nino will arrive for next year. ( I think they may be a bit off on their projections .

DUHHHH !!!! It seems that El NINO is already here :eek:

8. OriginalSnowman

OriginalSnowman Junior Member

Rock salt and solar salt (bagged or bulk) will generally store ok provided it's covered. Calcium chloride and magnesium chloride are much more hydroscopic and want to draw in moisture and will get it anywhere they can including out of the air. Some products are blends of these three and have other hydroscopic ingredients.

Some bags of deicers are sealed with a heat sealer (best) and some are what is called a valve lock bag. Valve lock bags have a flap opening on the top that is designed to have a nozzel inserted in them and then the deicer is blown in through the nozzel. When the nozzel is withdrawn and the bag is laid down flat, the weight of the product in the bag pushes the valve closed and "seals" the bag. If you stand the bag up, you can stick your arm in the valve.

Look at your bags: If they are valve lock style bags, then take some 2" clear plastic tape and tape them up (and the holes too) and try to seal up the valves.

While all of these products will keep indefinitely when sealed from moisture, all of them will try to gain moisture any way that they can so sealing them up is the first step to avoiding problems.

Your level of inventory is what many of us long to have at the end of the winter as evidenced by the previous posts. Unfortunately, we all had a lot of deicers on hand going in to [non]winter but with a complete lack of freezing conditions, many of us have about 80% of that going into spring.

We are all in the same boat! :D

9. stslawncare

stslawncare Senior Member

what happens if a little moisture does get in?

10. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

What happens??

:D If enought moisture gets in the salt, it will turn in to a brick of salt instead of a bag of salt.:D Even some little holes will let the salt to form baseball size rocks. I don't think I would be worrying about 200# of salt , what it's worth $10.00. Now if it was 200 bags OK Id think about it. ;)

11. ohiolawnguy

ohiolawnguy Member

even if t does turn into a brick, you can drop it on the ground a few times to loosen it back up again. just like dropping a bag of ice to break it up.

12. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

True

but then you have to be careful using it in a single stage spreader as it will jam it and that sucxx. A friend had a few bags that turned to a rock & tried to break them with tamper,hammer,dropped them, everything you could think of,they were about 9 months old & hard as a rock. He ended up putting them out for deer licks :D .