1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

To much plow?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by BIG.BLUE, Oct 16, 2008.

1. BIG.BLUE

BIG.BLUE Junior Member

ok so i had a 7 1/2 hiniker plow on my 99 1500 ram, worked grate well i have a new truck its a 06 1500 ram. i was told buy my plow shop if i wanted that i could put a 7 1/2 boss v on. it is only 130lbs more than what i had. would love to have a v but i don't want to kill the truck. they recommend to put a spring kit or something on the front. dose this sound right??

2. tom_mccauley

tom_mccauley Senior Member

I would be hard pressed to put any V on a 1/2 ton with out alot of suspension work.

3. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

really bad idea...... and i told you so , will be an understantment

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

That's a shame because this is the right way to kill it.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2008
  5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I agree with elite on this one.

6. BIG.BLUE

BIG.BLUE Junior Member

thanks guys, i like the ideal of the v but like i said i didn't want to kill the truck. the weight doesn't seam that much more than the straight blade. so even the timber kit wouldn't help me like they said.

7. ducatirider944

ducatirider944 Senior Member
    from Iowa

The problem you will face is how much snow is in front of you in the scoop mode. The stiffer springs or timbs will address the extra weight of the plow, but nothing will address the extra weight of the doubled amount of snow you are trying to push, unless you want to buy a 3/4 ton to go with your new blade!:D

8. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Are you good at replacing ball joints and axle joints
    OR
    Get the Vee plow and a 3/4 ton

An 06 1500 does that one have the IFS front end?
    If so don't even think about putting any plow on the front...

9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Timberns wouldn't strengthen your frame, Axles, wheel bearings, axle tubes, rims, tires, steering components, etc.

10. larryhd

larryhd Senior Member
    from vermont

V plow

I put a boss 71/2 V on a 04 1/2 ton chevy and it does a great job its been on the truck for
    3 seasons this will be the 4th. so i say go for it.

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You are aware that as far as a Boss the 7'.6" SPORT duty is the ONLY recommended plow for your truck without exceeding the FAWR? As an example to how much it could be over on the FAWR a 7.5 Sport Duty weighs approx 470 lbs or so (w/ mount)...a 7.6 V tips the scales around 780 (w/ mount).

So you can clearly see that it's going to be waaaay over the FAWR with a V. :nod:

12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Your truck is a recommended application for a vee....an '06 1500 series Dodge isn't. ;)

13. BIG.BLUE

BIG.BLUE Junior Member

i think i got it worked out. found town truck for $6000 3/4 ton truck with a 8 foot boss plow on it. so ill go that way or i wont go at all this year.

14. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Great idea.....:drinkup:

15. lumps

lumps Senior Member

I ran a Boss 8'2 steel V on a '97 Ram 1500 with no problems. That truck had the solid axle up front though, not sure what year they stopped that on the 1/2 tons.