1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

to mount or not to mount...

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by Embalmer, Jan 22, 2015.

1. Embalmer

Embalmer Senior Member

Getting my Ford ready to do some small plow jobs. I found my light bar I had mounted on my 03, and 05 ram 1500. Worked fine last time I used it in 2008 and still great shape in physical appearance. Thing is not sure if I should or not. Figure would do what I'd need, and save me 100's on buying a brand-new one. Light is 52", think the roof is 55" (slightly bigger than last trick.) Would also be used in some construction applications..
  2. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

those halogen rotators draw a lot of power. i am slowly converting all my trucks over to LED's from strobes.
    i only have one old rotator bar left, on the 79 F-350
  3. kolwnmstr

kolwnmstr Senior Member

Why not put it on the backrack?
  4. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

That's what I was thinking? I know they make a kit for the full bars.
  5. Embalmer

Embalmer Senior Member

That was going to be another option. Only sucks if need to carry bundles of emt conduit ect. Why was debating mounting to roof, but torn on looks
  6. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

If you had to carry that couldn't you just have flipped it down?

I'm not you so I don't know your situation.
  7. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

good call. i did not even see the backrack. that is the best way.
  8. Embalmer

Embalmer Senior Member

Ordered the back rack light bar brackets. I'll mock it up to see how would look before committing wiring ect. Sucks is first extended cab truck I've owned so looks weird to me.

Will update later with pic for criticism.

Thanks for idea guys.
  9. Embalmer

Embalmer Senior Member

got it mounted to backrack. drove around for a few days trying to decide if I like it there as was lil weird set that far back. Kinda grew on me so will keep it there. now waiting on a new wiring harness, as last one was cut to 7 ft when they installed through roof of my last truck.... (looks better in person than through pics.)

thanks for the advice guys
  10. JoeG3

JoeG3 Senior Member

I like mine mounted at the back of my crew cab. Keeps the flashback to a minimum and increases visibility behind the truck.
  11. xgiovannix12

xgiovannix12 PlowSite.com Addict

I think it looks good
  12. CoastalEVS

CoastalEVS Sponsor
    from NJ

Nice install, it's nostalgia ;)
  13. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

That's what I been doing I didn't think I like them but since having one for my new truck I like them Draw very little and more low profile and if a light burns out middle a storm it will still work still has 195 bulbs
    My other rotators one burns out doesn't take long other burns out seen it happen in one storm.
  14. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

I think it looks great! And it would appear that it actually sits a bit lower than it would hard mounted to the roof - gaining you some garage clearance. Not to mention the fact that you didn't need to mess up the paint with the roof mount clamps.

As for the rotators vs. LED thing, I have both in my light bar. (Two level) I might be old fashioned, but I think rotators still give you the best bang for the buck out there.
  15. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I was old fashion but them LED bars are thin compare to my rotators.
    This season first year running them.

I have few condo complex's I don't run my rotators. People complain about the lights coming in there windows at night. With LED I didn't get any complaints.
    But for visibility I think rotators are better.
    So far the DOT approved my mini bar.
    I'm still running one rotators on one my trucks it a truck never goes to the condo's.