1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

To lift or not to lift

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Waterchikn, Apr 15, 2003.

1. Waterchikn

Waterchikn Senior Member

I was thinking about using my plow unit to do some rock moving.
    I still have the headgear on and thought I might use it to move these rocks, they are kinda big and odd shaped. I thought maybe I could make a cradle with some straps and just drive up, and lift the rock, move it where I want it to go, then drop it. It is the meyer E60, so I know it lifts something like 1500lbs or more.
    Any suggestions against this, besides the obvious "Use the right equipment for the job" I know it isn't the right thing use, but I am only going to do it 1 time (4 big boulders) and that will be it.
    Then I can get it prepped for summer.
    Thanks in advance.

2. Joey D

Joey D Senior Member

The town I live in does stuff like that all summer. The have a craddle made that slides into the pins where the a-frame hitches to with a chain on the other end. Mostly used for compactors going to do road patching, but I have seen other things in there.

Just drag them with your truck. I have used a hammer drill to set a few anchors in the rock then bolt in some eye-bolts to attach the chain to.

3. wyldman

wyldman Member

I wouldn't recommend it.A blade weighs 300-400 lbs.A large boulder can weigh many times that plus whatever the weight of the attachment you make to lift them with.Add the leverage affect and the front end of your truck can see a hugh amount of stress.Can also bend the plow mounts or frame.

You be better off just dragging them,with a sling.Wedging a large flat spade under the front edge of the rock will give it something to slide on.

4. kojak

kojak Member

Would renting / borrowing from a buddy a skidder / loader / tractor will be the right tool for the job. Unless it's too expensive where you are. Less chance of damage, or ripping up your yard if you roll rocks, instead of dragging them.

5. Waterchikn

Waterchikn Senior Member

Hmm. The reason I am not draggin them is because they would damage the cement that they are near right now. 4 guys can "roll" most of them, but they need to go like 100 yards.
    There is a drive way right near where they are (that I don't want to damage) and there is also another drive way where I can take them too. I might just see what happens when I lift one, they can't be that heavy..... I'll let you know how it goes....
    Thanx for the advice everyone.
    I could see the townships using them like it was explained.
    I can't seem to get the guy with the skid steer over, as it is extra busy this time of year. Oh well.

6. kojak

kojak Member

Sorry, the cat skinner in me associates rocks with dirt, not pavement. If they are not heavy, and near a smooth surface, maybe go simpler. Mock up a dolly, and push it where you need the rocks. It shouldn't be too expensive, and a little effort may be worth not doing any damage to your truck or plow. You know your situation better than me, so this may not work for you.

7. A method we often use to move rocks when we don't want to damage the landscape is to take a piece of plywood. usually 3/4" thick. larger than the largest rock, and fasten a 2X4 or a 2X6 across one end and fasten a chain near both ends of the 2X? to pull by. Roll or push the rock on the plywood and pull by the chain. By pulling from the chain it keep the front on the skid up off the ground and the plywood slides fairly easily. When going across concrete spread some sand or dry dirt along the path to make the move easier. The plywood wears but is cheap.
    I hope this gives you some ideas.