1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

To Install or Not Install That Is The Question.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by GeoffD, Nov 3, 2001.

1. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

How many of you guys install your own plows, and truck equipmet. Or do you pay a truck upfitter to do this task.

I have recently thought about doing our own pick up plow installs from now on but haven't decided yet.However my big trucks have always gone to the upfitter, because there is so much to do. I mean with new equipment you can go back to the shop, if something isn't right.

However with used stuff we do it all in house. Just not sure if I want to do new plows, because I can't go back and say this is wrong, fix it.

what about you guys?

2. Randy Scott

Randy Scott Senior Member

You gotta be kidding me, this thread comes up as I just sit down to my computer after putting my own new plow on today.
    It's a Boss 8' 2" V. It went pretty smoothly. First I put the carriage on the truck, then the wiring on the truck, and now just finished assembly of the plow. I have about 8 hrs. into it and probably about 1 or 2 tomorrow to fill the hydraulics and aim the headlights and fine tune everything. It would have cost me about $350 to have it installed. Right now I have more time than money.
    I would recommend anyone with any mechanical ability could do it. I was a bodyman and painter for 13 years and have done enough mechanical work over that time that it was no real big deal.
    A few areas with the plow that needed some fine tuning with a round file to get holes lined up but otherwise it was easy. If I were to do one again it would be easy and could save a couple hours.
  3. GeoffD

My dealer chargers 265 for a streight blade up to 9', 295 for a v-plow and 10' blade.

The bigger everst a frink blades are more.

However he offers discounts for multiple plows, done during the same season. He won't give you the discount on the first plow, but after he does a few, and you bring back another truck he gives you a price break. Or if you drop them all off at once you get a break.

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

I had no choice in the matter when it came to my Fisher v-plow, the dealers around here would'nt install it on my truck (GVW too low). Did it with the help of two friends, one who installs electrical accessories for a living and one who installed fishers for a living (25 years ago). I personaly would'nt recomend it for somebody who just does oil changes and light tune-ups in their driveway. The wiring in particular took time and was a trial and error deal.
    If I had it to do over again I probably would have offered a tech money on the side to install it, even if it cost more than the $300 the dealers wanted for installation.

The funny thing about all this is when the plow gave me trouble the fisher techs checked everything out and said the wiring installation was fine, the wiring harness was not!
  5. GeoffD

JD Plower

Why wouldn't they install an 8.5' V-Plow on your F 350?

They installed one on my 97 with the 351.

If ya ever need a Fisher installed, there is a Fisher dealer in southern Maine, that will install a plow on just about anything.

6. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

Pickup should be fairly simple, I installed my 8" Fisher straight on my Dodge in a day by myself (hardest part was getting the blade out of the bed and positioning it to assemble, solo).

Two guys and air tools on a new(er) vehicle should make it a 4 hour job tops.
  7. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

I have the dealer put on plow when new....
    Just in case there is a problem they can't
    say I screwed something up...
    My old plow was a hard mount western
    with the head gear. Since i swap trucks
    every 3 year my buddy and I are pretty
    handy at swapping it from one to another.
    He has air tools and torches for stubborn
    nuts and bolts....BIG hammers too.....
    Dealer installing a new ultramount for me
    Tuesday on my new 01.........Geo

PRAY FOR SNOW !!!!!

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

Geoff they said that a diesel would be overloaded with that type of plow. They said something about it having a 4800# front axle and it needed a 5200# axle. Thanks for the heads up on the dealer, can always use the name of a good one.
  9. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

I always assemble my own plows.I have seen some dealer installs,some look great,others are botched up.My last truck had a "professionally" installed plow.The wiring was laying on top of the engine,the headlight harness was getting snagged in the hood latch,and the control was put in a horrible spot.I think about 1/2 of these guys dont care and just throw them together as fast as they can.I like to do a neat job,and pull the grille,and mount the wiring harness neatlly out of harms way with the factory harness.The money saved is nice too.My first Fisher took me 8 hrs,ater that they were about 6 1/2.When i install Fishers,I put a grease fitting on the plows center pin,the plow is much quiter,and doesnt bang as much with grease in there.
  10. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Things I install for myself and others:
    Accesories (Steps, Visors Flares etc)
    I have done bodies and will if I was to buy one used or similiar. On a new body I would just let the dealer do it.

I don't like back ups. This is my main reason. If a dealer says he can do it on a certain day then i expect it to be started on that day. I do not want to see it sitting two days later. I will and I have canceled work after this has happened. I agree with you John I like installs to be neat. This comes from my work as a Stereo and Alarm installer. I like wiring to be neat and to almsot blend in with the stock wiring. I follow existing harnesses and loom all the wiring. This makes troubleshooting easier later on.

Most plow manfacturers produce excellent directions that an average shadetree can follow. A good drill and set of tools is a must. Air tools and a lift make job easier. I usually take about 6 hours on a normal Fisher install. That is with a little help holding and lifting.

For me I would rather take a night to do an install then have the truck out for a day and have to pay money for something I can do myself.
  11. 99SDPSD

99SDPSD Senior Member

I have installed all 3 Boss's that i have bought. The hardest one was on my 89 F350. The other 2 were on Ford Super Duty's. As for the wiring I even took out the air box on the 99 SD to run the plow harness with the factory one. I also mounted the harness with the plow connector in the grill unlike how Boss says to mount it under the bumper so all the salt and stuff accumulates on it.
  12. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

While I understand the reasoning I'm not certain I would install a plow on a vehicle where the manufacturer specifically states that it shouldn't be done. Some liability exposure there that might be a problem if there is a fatality involved in an accident. And a fellow that says that they will install anything on any truck might warrant a question as to how much insurance they are carrying.. just in case.

I might be being overly cautious - I usually am considering the size operation we are running...... but, it would give me pause to intentionally circumnavigate the recommendations of the manufacturer.
  13. DaveK

DaveK Senior Member

That's a very good point. That kind of insight and wisdom is very helpful. It certainly comes from years of experience, or laying on the beach in Aruba pondering business liabilities. :)
  14. speedracer241

speedracer241 Senior Member

i just put a used plow from a 1964 chevy on my 1982 dodge. it had a factory bumper setup for the headgear of the plow, must have been a western option in 1964, it was a very heavy duty set up and was painted the same color as the plow. had to do a little re-engineering to make it fit the dodge but it was the same width, guess i got lucky. i had cut a lot of it apart and reused most of the steel but it looks real nice on the truck.
    i wouldn't hesitate to do it again as long as i have the time to do it. my employer also let me use the shop after hours. but if i had to have it "yesterday" i would pay to have it done.

you can do anything with a welder and torch,
    Mark K
  15. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

Hey Dave... look close here... Is my nose bleeding ??
  16. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

Install everytime

Just finished install of Boss in 5 hrs. Went to dealer to inspect install on new 2500HD to see where everything goes & was disapointed to see how bad their installers did (sloppy, not mine attitude). Talked to installer about him having extra parts, don't like installing those nuts as it makes it harder to adjust the springs??? Well what about the splash guard over their on the floor we don't reinstall them it's to hard???? Thats why I do almost all my own work that way you know how & where everything is.
  17. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Installer are famous for removing valances, splashguards and the like. I have also seen huge holes in Chevy valances to accept the Meyer frame. I like a clean look. Wiring in the engine compartment is critical. It should be neat and easy to follow and test. I follow exsisting harnesses and always leave a little slack so that there is room for service.