1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

To Duramax, or not to Duramax?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by OriginalSnowman, Feb 5, 2002.

1. OriginalSnowman

OriginalSnowman Junior Member

Who can tell me their experience with the Duramax/Alison combo on GMC 2500HD and 3500?

Looking for who has Duramax experience??

2. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

3. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

I have a good friend who bought one in dec of 2000,it hasnt been back to the dealer,not even for one thing.It has been a great truck,he has 38000 miles on it,and it gets worked.His only problem it was 2 quarts low on oil at 1500 miles,added it,and never had to put any more in it.Id say if thats the truck you want,go for it.

4. OriginalSnowman

Cat320: What a great link! Thanks a million.

5. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

http://www.stslawncare.com/STS Lawn Care MDB Landscaping8.htm

my 2002 2500HD is pretty new, but so far i love it. its absolutely awesome towing. the downgrade braking is great. there is tons of power and its quiet, unfortunately, i wish it was louder:D . so far its been great. real easy to change the 10 quarts of oil, and easy to service. its a steep price tag, but so far it has been worth it.

6. MDDMAX

MDDMAX Member

Snow,

I have a 02 Duramax alli set up on a 3/4ton. It has been good so far. There are only a few power upgrades out there for it compaired to the Cummins. If you are looking for a pure towing truck and you don't care about overall build quality, go for a Cummins HO w/ 6spd. If you are looking for the overall pgk go for a GM Duramax. Also, there engines are very new and have had a few problems but overall seem ok. My only complaint are the 3.73 rear with 245 tires and .72 OD leads to semi high RPM's on the highway. Overall the HD trucks are very well build. Good luck and don't pay more than 500 over invoice for your truck w/o the rebate.

Lenny

7. OriginalSnowman

8. hillbilly1974

hillbilly1974 Junior Member

we pull a 36ft. haulmark race trailer all around east texas every weekend. so far,we love the truck. it has great power and lots of torque. couldn't ask for anything more from the truck. we are looking to reprogram the computer and try some other mods.

9. Maverick

Maverick Senior Member

I own 2 Duramax-Allison equiped trucks. One is an 01' Chevy reg. cab LS 3500 4x4 that I plow with. I have a 9'er on it. The other is an 01' GMC ext. cab SLT 2500HD 4x4 that I will have a plow on this fall. Both are excellent trucks and have no regrets. The power is super for towing 8% grades and grade braking is super for coming down the other side. I post on "The DP" under the same name also.