1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

to Dump or not?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by elite1, May 18, 2004.

1. elite1

elite1 Senior Member

Ok here is the story.

Guy backs up a trailer, with a tool box on the a frame. jack knife the trailer and damaged my truck.

rear pass. side qt. panel is damaged and the exhaust will have to be replaced. bumper is ok.

The body work is about $800-1k and the exhaust is about $700-$800. The truck is a 96 Dodge diesel with 95k on it. with in the past 8 months almost all of the moving, replaceable parts have been, except for the trans, t-case, and exhaust and the diesel motor.

The engine is fine, like new. The suspension was up graded and an add a leaf kit. new tires,brakes, and joints. The truck itself looks like new, no other damage.

The bed has a small amount of rust starting to form on the inside of the wheel well on both sides, very small, but rapidly growing.

This is not my daily driver, but I want it to look nice. Fix the truck, or spend 4k on a aluminum flat bed with dump hoist. The insurance might pay for 1k. I plan to keep this truck for at least 2 more years, but not more than 3 unless it is still in good shape. I still plan to buy a F-550 Dump for landscaping, but this would work very well for plowing and mowing.

What should I do? Any other ideas? Thanks for all opinions

2. SCSIndust

SCSIndust Senior Member

Aren't you going to get 1500 or 2k from the other ins co? either way,if you have the extra cash, go for it! Look at it this way - the dump is indespensible, a wonderful thing to have. AND, when you sell it, you'll get that much more for it, simply because it is a dumper. Around here, you can sell a total heap, and long as there is a dump, you are assured to get decent money, almost regardless of how it is. Just food for thought.

3. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

The trucks more versatile with a dump go for it! ( Think mulch, salt bag pallets, dirt, land scaping) Go for a better exhaust too if it needs replaced. A 10% increase in MPG with a high performance exhaust is 10% savings, with the fuel prices lately! Sounds better too.