1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

to do 285's or no

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 1 bad bolt, Jul 10, 2009.

1. 1 bad bolt

1 bad bolt Member

i need to get new tires and thinking about getting 285 series tires . currently i have 265's, will i see a difference in traction in the snow ? i plan on getting a power programer to re adjust the computer for the tire size change as well. any input on going to a bigger tire or keeping the stock size please chime in. thanks

2. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

The wider footprint will cause the truck to ride on top of the snow and slide a bit more rather than cutting through it down to the pavement. That's just in theory. I plow with 285's on my Dodge and think anything smaller looks too small.

3. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

got 285's and i think they are pefect fit, anything smaller looks like a spare for my truck!

4. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I use 285s on my truck. I do slide around more then a friend with 265s on his truck and my dad with 245s, just something I've gotten used to. I just expect to not have great handling on hard packed snow so I account for stopping distance and turning because I figure I'm going to slide some.

5. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

regardless of how you think they may look, narrower tires are better in the snow - in both theory and practice. get a set of dedicated 235 or 245 snow tires on steel rims for the winter season, and then a set of big wheels with fancy rims to run in the off plowing season.

6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

That's my experience too. I run 235/85/16 Studded Mastercraft MSR. They have been awesome in the snow. I can do most of my plowing in 2wd with the sander loaded.

7. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I agree. Your out in the worst weather why would you risk getting in a dangerous situation just for looks. Plus 245's will push so much more snow. JMO

8. bigdeezle442

bigdeezle442 Junior Member

I had new 285/75R16 at the beginning of the year and changed after the first storm to 235/85R16 and the difference was night and day. I have always ran summer and winter tires and wheels. I am concerned on how my truck looks but when it comes down to function over looks the function always wins in my book.

9. 1 bad bolt

1 bad bolt Member

i settled on getting 265/75/16 so i could have lil of both worlds lol, i think i should do ok with them "i hope"

10. JDiepstra

245's can't hold as much weight as a 285 (unless you get into different weight loads ie D E F......) and they also give you about 2" less ground clearance. This ground clearance could be the difference between getting stuck or not. You have to be kidding about pushing more snow because of tire size. My tires are on mostly clean pavement when I am plowing because they are on the pavement that has just been plowed by the plow 6 feet in front of them.

11. Chrisxl64

Chrisxl64 Senior Member
    from CT

To clarify the first digit in tire size in the width of the tire, not the sidewall height.

12. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

285s are less than two inches taller than 245s (talking about 75 series here), so that means less than an inch difference in ground clearance. As for narrow tires pushing more snow, that's been my experience. In a perfectly flat world (pre Christopher Columbus) with a perfectly straight cutting edge, yeah it can be pretty clean where you just plowed. But the hot top ain't always flat, gravel is never flat, and once you're dealing with a little traffic in a commercial, it won't be bare till the salt or sun does their things. And we still see guys running inside singles on their tonners during winter.

13. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

They plow with Chevys and Fords. Ofcourse they need the smaller and thinner tire. They need all the help they can get like 800# ballast. We could plow with 44inch Swampers and still out plow them,

14. JDiepstra

Let the games begin! :D

15. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

with this logic, why run snow tires, or even tires that have any tread at all? just go to the dump and pick up some nice wide baldies....

as has been my experience as well as a lot of others guys that have posted here, a narrower, dedicated snow tire is best - but then again, most guys with this experience don't drive dodge's, so what would we know? :dizzy:

16. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Nice one LOL

17. EXR

EXR Senior Member

I have always ran summer and winter tire combo....
    I too looked at 285's for my gm but know it wont cut deep enough into the snow.

The best traction will come from a set of X-ice or blizzak's if you can get them in 8 or 10 ply.

I run 10 ply 265 snow/mud tires for the winter and reg 10ply all season for the summer.