1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

To diode or not to diode...that is the question plus one

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by alcoman50, Feb 15, 2014.

1. alcoman50

alcoman50 Senior Member

Not electrically inclined in the least. I can do basic stuff but have never used a relay. I think I should be able to do this.

It is for the installation of Aux Reverse lights on the 2004 Silverado. I attempted search. But could not find a clear answer.

Is a diode necessary between the Neutral on the switch and the 86 pin on the relay. If it IS necessary what do I use? A spec or part number or source would be helpful. I have a Bosch relay enroute.

Second part is: If I want to put some kind of indicator light for in cab use, would it also go on the same wire between the 86 pin and the neutral on the switch? I have a basic non-illuminated SPDT switch coming. I do not need it coming on when I have the switch set for "Auto" mode only for the Constant ON mode. The image came from a Tacoma Forum that had the most clear and simple diagram. Any help would be appreciated.

ReverseLights3-way.jpg

2. skostur79

skostur79 Member
    from ne ohio

you should have a rev signal in the trailer brake harness at the bumper ,
    well if you have the option

3. alcoman50

alcoman50 Senior Member

Not worried about reverse signal. The image I attached came from a Toyota Tacoma forum that I found in a Google search. I have all the connection points planned. Just need to know if a diode is necessary and if some kind of light can go between pin 86 and the middle pin on the switch

4. skostur79

skostur79 Member
    from ne ohio

what are you trying to do

have aux reverse lights that work when in reverse and be able to switch them on as needed?

5. alcoman50

alcoman50 Senior Member

yes that is what I am trying to accomplish

6. Triton2286

Triton2286 Senior Member

You don't need a diode.

7. skostur79

skostur79 Member
    from ne ohio

yes you need a 1n4004 diode (radioshack etc)
    wired in to to your number 3 at rocker sw.

this will prevent the backfeed turning trucks reverse circuit on
    when you override it with the switch

id make all my connections at the underhood fuse box
    and use the light green wire at the trailer connector since its routed there
    already

let me know if you need more break down of anything

[​IMG]

8. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

When the switch is in "override" position, it will actually be disconnected from the transmission signal.

No, as previously stated, a diode is *NOT* required for this circuit.

9. skostur79

skostur79 Member
    from ne ohio

yes if he was using original diagram running new wires to the rear , i had him use the factory harness and connect everything at the fuse box

but both will work

how did you make out ,Will?

10. alcoman50

alcoman50 Senior Member

For the time being I just tapped into the trailer b/u circuit so I would have the lights work when I put it in reverse. I wanted to get the lights working. But I will add the switch etc when the weather finally breaks.

12+ expected by daylight so its gonna be a long night. I am over 30 plowable events for this season.