1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

To deflect or not to deflect?

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by cgbanker, Oct 22, 2004.

1. cgbanker

cgbanker Junior Member

I've been plowing my 1/4 mi private drive for about 10 yrs with a Meyer 7.5 ft with E-47 pump. With the deep snows the last several years, I've noticed that snow blowing up over the top of the blade is quite a nuisance. I'm looking for opinions on deflectors for my plow, pros and cons. Are they a problem when stacking? Because I do a lot of stacking when there's a lot of snow. Are the poly deflectors better than rubber, and why?
  2. Moosehunter

Moosehunter Member

In my few years of plowing commercially, the only deflectors I've seen broken or damaged have been the polys. In my opinion, the rubber is not as stiff in the cold as the poly and has a bit more "give". Especially when stacking. However, the rubber may not offer as much containment in a long push as the poly. I use rubber and have been quite satisfied. Thus ends my humble .02.......
  3. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

alot of factors n whether a deflector will do the job correctly theres the height, thickness, and the number of plies in the belting I have been experimenting with a plastic belting that is reinforced with fiberglass and it is holding up to many tests, even not flapping up at speeds over the 3 digit mark :D

if you do alot of stacking you will break a poly deflector, the rubber just folds up and acts like a loader bucket holding the snow in

if you have any more questions just post them up
  4. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

As already stated above the poly deflectors work great as long as you aren't one who rams into piles or has a plow that is not set up correctly and is always tripping and laying over hitting the ground.
    Rubber deflectors will take more abuse and hold more snow in front of the plow during those long pushes or in deep snow.
    Either way I think one or the other would be a good investment.
    :rolleyes: John........................