1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

To cover or not to cover (plows that is)?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mkwl, Nov 10, 2007.

1. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

I got my plow down from our farm upstate this morning- it's back by my shop now. My question is- it will be outside from now until it goes back upstate next spring (I don't have any indoor storage for it). Is it better to keep the plow covered (under a tarp) or just uncovered in the open air? Anyone? My only concern with keeping it under the tarp is condensation building up under it- is this really a concern or not?

2. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Don't tarp it, it would be a PITA. Just make sure any electical connections or hydraulic couplers are oiled. If our blades sit out, I make sure the electrical plugs have caps on them because freezing rain can cause alot of problems. Also if storing on loose gravel or dirt, throw a couple boards underneath your plow so it doesn't freeze to the ground.
  3. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Well, it's got a tarp on it right now- I've also greased the connections and sprayed down joints w/ Fluid Film. I'd like to keep it tarped to keep leaves and other junk off it, but don't want condensation to build up under it either.
  4. mike33087

mike33087 Senior Member

i just cover the light tower part, no sense in covering the whole blade just the important stuff
  5. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

As long as air can get through it, I don't think I would worry about condensation. I think Mike is right, just cover the important parts.
  6. Snowpower

Snowpower Senior Member

My blade and angle rams etc sit outside all summer and grease it and tarp it. I have the right size tarp and use heavy duty spring loaded clips to secure it in four spots and it never moves.
    Maybe it doesnt make a difference but I prefer it.
  7. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I put my plow on pallets stacked 2 high then WD40 the s*** out of it then grease the pistons, wrap them in wax paper (keeps the cats tail clean) then cover it with a tarp.

the tarp is big enough so rain wont splash on the plow and air can circulate around the plow.
    sort of like a car-port.
  8. nms0219

nms0219 Senior Member

get a good tarp that fits it and cover it. To me its cheeper to cover it with a $30 tarp than to replace what rusted out. just my $.02
  9. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

I agree, and Fluid Film cant hurt
  10. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

as long as everything is painted and you spray some FF on the rams and coat the electrical connectors with some dielectric grease i doubt anything will go wrong. its a bunch of metal and sealed headlights. Mine would be outside all year but i store it my garage in fear of someone stealing it. My Dad keeps all of his plows out all year long and has for the past 20 years and he hasnt had an issue. the only advantage i can see the tarp bringing is it will keep the sun off it so the paint wont fade. think about what you do with the plow when its snowing, a little bit of elements while sitting wont hurt anything.
  11. topdj

topdj Senior Member

12. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

If you store it on earth beware of tarps, they won't let the moisture out. On concrete or black top, spray it down with fluid film and tarp it up.
  13. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

What kind of grease do you guys use on the rams? If I uncover it like 1x per week to let the moisture out do you think I'll be okay to leave it covered- it's on concrete blocks on dirt.
  14. stroker79

just spray the rams with FF
  15. yamaguy

yamaguy Senior Member

I have a poly plow and I don't want it to fade so I cover it.
  16. NNJSnow

NNJSnow Senior Member

its a snowplow, it gets wet when you plow with it. Leave the tarp off
  17. stroker79

here i thought i was the only one!
  18. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

I know it gets wet, I just don't want to have all leaves and other junk getting all over it (several trees over it). I also don't want the paint to fade too much.
  19. NNJSnow

NNJSnow Senior Member

the paint is more likely to deteroiate from plowing with it then it is to be sitting out. If there are trees over the plow they will prevent sunlight from getting to it regardless, its going to loose color and get busted up while plowing more than it is sitting.
  20. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

This thread is funny. Snow, sand and salt takes its toll more so than leaves, condensation, and sunlight. So, my suggestion is that if you don't want it to get worn, don't plow snow with it. Regardless, throwing a tarp over it will not make it rust out any faster than using it. If you are worried about it staying new looking, then make sure you wash it after each use.