1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

to cheap?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by windrowsnow, Sep 4, 2008.

1. windrowsnow

windrowsnow Senior Member
    from nw ohio

i recently quoted a job that consisted of four 8 acre parking lots. each lot has different requirements and more islands then the next. i did my drive through and estimated gave a price. well i get a phone call two weeks later saying your prices are competive pleaase give us a list of what equipment you own, i call them back and then im told im significantly cheaper. i then go through and measure all pavement areas and come out to the exact of what i quoted for is it that my overhead is less than the competetion? and i charge less per hour? ever happened to any of you?

2. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

Well i guess you got the lot...congrats!:drinkup:

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Or a nightmare!:eek:

4. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

someone has to be the cheapest

there is no way that a lot can be eyeballed and have everyone come up with prices that are close, just look at when someone asks for help on here one guy says 3 hrs one says 1.5

5. windrowsnow

from nw ohio

the part that kills me is i eyeballed it and then priced it. after i was told i was cheap she wants a list of my equipment to make sure i can handle it so i measure everything and figure the 1 acre an hour and still come out with where i was when i eyeballed it so my overhead has to be lower she also said that two winters ago they had three trucks out there for 15 hours. it had to of been that valentines storm two years ago. eight acres of lot should not take 45 hours to plow

6. cretebaby

ease your mind it will be fine

7. windrowsnow

from nw ohio

lol ease my mind is exactly what ive got to do i got my wife second guessing me and my employees say hell yea big lots we can fly just never had anyone tell me i was to cheap def. shocked me

8. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

If you knew what you were doing when you estimated and are confident with your figures, don't worry about it. Just send the equipment list they asked for - that's common. What the last guys did is irrelevant.

On the other hand, if you're getting in over your head, now is the time to back out.

9. windrowsnow

from nw ohio

gotta get big sometime if i never bid on large lots and i dont land them why would i have the need to buy boxes, loaders, etc. etc. gotta have the lots to have the equip.

10. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

I bid a lot last week that the previous contractor had bid @ $800.00 I went in and figured it @ 2 trucks @ 1.5 hrs each to plow, @ my rates, then added the extra $100 for the PITA factor (I know this account will be) and I came in at around half of his bid.

I have seen the guy plow it, Hes got 2 trucks with wings running and he is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Slow!! I just don't know how some places can afford to pay that kind of mney for plowing, It makes sense now how so many places went broke paying for snow removal last year.

J.

11. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

Had that happen last year, went out and looked at the place, figured it a little under an hour, bid it at $175 (2-4")
    They said, you've got it now, the last guy was charging $385!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I did it a couple times, took an hour. i'd say my estimate was right on.

It happens.

12. windrowsnow

from nw ohio

i bid a chain of stores last season current contractor was using a jeep and ranger took him 12 hours to plow i bid them each one avg. 55 dollars some were less some were more but the lots i figured 45 minutes took me 15 in my dump. the district managers were shocked we plowed all 12 locations in 3 hours with two trucks my figureing is if you pay your guys a good hourly rate to get out of bed at crazy hours to work in cold temps. they will hustle. the more lots we can get done the money we all make

Last edited: Sep 4, 2008
  13. cretebaby

''gotta get big sometime'' WRONG there is nothing wrong with being smaller company

frankly i see a lot of guys make more money with a smaller company that is well managed and details are paid attention to

there is nothing wrong with geting bigger just make sure it is worth it financial wise, marriage wise, and family wise

but good luck with your new accounts it will be fine

14. windrowsnow

from nw ohio

my wife is on the ground crew for a local university she is on call 24/7 in the winter just as myself so we rarely see eachother she knows this is our lively hood and i come from a plowing family my pops started it and me and my bro took it over

15. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

the last guy charged more to cover his alimony and child support payments.
    You will be in the same boat come next season if you bid this wrong./

(just kiddin):)

i guess you know there is room to charge a little more next year now:D

16. cretebaby

you got your foot in the door now just keep them happy and you can raise a little next year, you may have some lifers here

17. windrowsnow

from nw ohio

thats what i was thinking when i talked to the mgr. she told me im afraid you wont make any money please look it over which i did. then she said i really wanna get you in here for our landscaping next season. i bid the landscape maintence this past season and was to much money so my thinking is hey ive never lost customers had one complaint last season ill do them the same as all my other customers and build that relationship where they will be loyal and want me to service them for all there needs. btw i do appreciate the feedback

18. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

if that's the case ,sit with her face to face with the contract and redo it until you both are ok with it.

19. cretebaby

like GV said use the fact that you are cheaper this winter to sign them up for next winter and get a contract for the year

20. windrowsnow

from nw ohio

thats a good idea but i do know it goes to bid every year and its always to the cheapest i also gathered that they went with the cheapest last year and it was horrible she had to call them to come out they open at 9 and didnt start plowing until 7 or 8 and they used fertilizer spreaders to salt the lot i can wrap all their services into one with no problem just have to make a lil investment for this winter lol always adding to the fleet