1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

to charge or not to charge

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by flakesmeangreen, Dec 9, 2001.

1. flakesmeangreen

flakesmeangreen Senior Member

ok...got this seasonal who called to have his drive plowed (3" trigger, we got maybe 2"). my contract states "your driveway will be plowed for any snowfall of 3" or more...blah, blah, blah...i don't have anything in it that specifically says you'll be charged extra if you call to have it cleared w/ less than 3" (opps!?) i know that's what i meant but i'm not sure if i should charge for it or not? it's implied but doesn't really state it. what's the right thing to do? is it my mistake? i did put it in my notes for next years contracts!
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Charge for one push, what you'd charge for 3". He called you - it's not your mistake.
  3. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Do you have a cap on the contract for either inches or times you will service the driveway for the season.
    If its a total number of inches, then count 3" towards the toatl for the season. That is what we do, we state that any call for service below the trigger depth, will be counted as X" inches towards the seasonal total.
    If you have a limited number of times that you will service the drive for the season, then just count this as your first one towards the toatl. I really dont think you should charge extra when this may be just one of a few times that you have to plow this season.

PINEISLAND1 PlowSite.com Veteran

if its a seasonal contract, not per push, I'd just let it slide. Next year remind him of how 3" didn't satisfy him and charge him more for the contract at 2 ".

If its paid per push, of course charge him!
  5. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

well you could also ask him...........

To agree to an ammended trigger amount.:)
    I realized early that most people cant read a ruler properly and have now Idea how much 2- 3 inches of snow actually is.

If he agreed to a 3 inch trigger, then called you for two, Politely suggest to him that you will gladly come out at a 2 inch accumulation if he prefer.

Tell him that your main goal is to keep your customers happy, and if 2 inches is where he feels comfortable with, agree to do it.

Just get your contracts and change the trigger depth and both of you intial the changes.

Its called a change order in the construction business.

And OH by the way ......... Charge him.
  6. flakesmeangreen

thanks all for your advise...not sure which way i'll go though...u guys are split 50/50 on this one...

...u know something 'bout the weather i don't?...not gonna snow much???
  7. carlriv2

carlriv2 Senior Member
    from Mass

Charge him!!!! He is asking you to do more service than you both had agreed to.
  8. General Grounds

General Grounds Member

:) Tim absolutely charge him...., we have a 2" trigger in our agreement, and we charge every 4", we also put in agreement the we are not responsible for hardpack or icy condition that may occur after we leave.
  9. Camaro SS Mike

Camaro SS Mike Junior Member
    from NJ

I dont have plwoing accounts or anything, but ill give my 2 cents here. i would say definitely charge him, if u wanna give him a slightly better deal, thats up to u, but definitely charge! it seems to me when u do something for free for people, they thank u, pat u on the back, and the next day they forgot what u did for them. charge for everything u can charge for, without being a jerk about it. plus if u do it for free, then later down the road, maybe the guy will want other stuff or pushes for free, cause he knows u did it for free once before. u gotta feel him out, see what kind of guy he is. just my oppinions from hanging out on this board and reading the posts. Mike
  10. Rob

Rob PlowSite.com Veteran

Just reading the posts, and I don't see the 50/50 split. Everyone seems to agree that you should charge him. Whether it be toward his annual contract total, or for an indivisual push if it is a per push contract. If per push, I would charge your normal 3" push charge, but nothing extra. If you have seasonal, then it is counted as one towards your cap. (if you have no cap.. then that's the oops)
    Just my .02
  11. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

You need to be making oney for your work. From what I read it seems like he did not pay up front. If it is by push then he needs to pay because you came I had someone that used to want me to plow at an inch. Would not work very well and I told him I would spread and have better results but some people you just can't convince. So he paid for plowing and spreading.

If you did have a contract then he is changing the terms. Nicely sit down with him and let him know your concerns and costs. I agree with J. Curtis, most people cannot read a ruler. I think either way you should be paid for your service.
  12. flakesmeangreen

...well, at the time it was...

...opps...no cap, just a severe snow event/backhoe clause

...paid up front as a seasonal...had another call for a per push, there's no question whatsoever on that one!

i do have a contract from him (of course!!!), i'm gonna call him tonight & discuss future options with him...& send an invoice in the mail for today...
  13. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

I would amend the contract and change the trigger to 2" and then bill for the extra for the season. But like I said, no one knows how much snow we are going to get, so if you charge him extra, it might be a good way to lose a customer.
    Look at it from his perspective, the first snow event, and you already are trying to wack him ofr an extra. I bet he isnt going to like that a whole lot.

OBRYANMAINT PlowSite.com Veteran
    from ohio

i would not charge him but i would ask him if he would like to change trigger on contract and if he does charge him for that accordingly, whatever the seasonal difference is......... and if he doesnt i would politely explain how we maesure the inches and that this instance would not have been covered in the agreement that he requested with you(3" trigger)

i would be sure he is happy but make sure you change this situation now ( with this customer) before it happens again and as you will probably change it in future contracts