1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

To charge or not to charge????

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Landscape80, Jan 5, 2005.

1. Landscape80

Landscape80 Senior Member

I got an offer for plowing around a building in the city. The only problem.....well there are 2 potential problems, one, the lots are gravel and not in good shape, and the other is that it's not in the greatest section of town. I had a strong feeling to charge 25%-50% more than my normal rate for this work since there are factors that are not really in my favor. I mean, if I could do this, I could make a killing off not a lot of work, or on the other hand, I could get killed........lol, well, that's a lil' drastic but you guys know what I mean. Just let me know what ya'll think, Thanks.

2. foyboy41

foyboy41 Member

ghetto plowing

not worth it in my opinion gravel sucks if you break down your dead just forget it
  3. RidgeCon

RidgeCon Senior Member

I think only you can make that decision but it sounds like you may have your answer already. Pretty hard to plow and do a good job if you are worried about your personal safety while working.
  4. IndySnowPlow

IndySnowPlow Senior Member
    from Indiana

Go for it !!! make the easy money.... Remember the NRA
  5. Plow King

Plow King Senior Member

Charge them 50% more, if they go for it then sub it out.
  6. RidgeCon

RidgeCon Senior Member

Ha ha ha.....good thinking.
  7. Landscape80

That is good thinking........I'm not sure what I wanna do. I'd rather throw a high bid in than not give them one at all. They are a mgmt. company and take care of a bunch of homes for disabled people. So if I don't give them a bid for this, I could lose out on other work as well. On the other hand, if I give them a high bid they might think that I'm trying to rape them (which, lets be real here, I would be) and then they wouldn't give me anything. I've already told the property manager that I will have to charge premium rates because I won't beat my trucks for chump change. But he's foreign (no offense meant) and I don't think he understands what I mean by premuim rates. I dunno, keep the suggestions coming, they're helping.

8. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

All it takes is somebody to throw a cinderblock off a building onto your rig and the easy money wasn't worth it, especially if you get killed while waiting for the law to show up and do a report! :eek:
  9. Landscape80

:confused: Ok, what would compell a person to throw a cinderblock off of a roof?? :confused:
  10. crashz

crashz Senior Member

The same thing that compelled the two kids to toss a rock over a railroad bridge and right through my windshield. Destructive people do destructive things to others and get off on it.

If you take the job, keep a cell phone with you and make sure your rig is in good shape without looking like a goldmine.
  11. Young Pup

Young Pup PlowSite Fanatic

I go on gut feelings on snow plowing or lawncare work. If it is in a bad area and my gut is uneasy about it, then I turn down the job. I give a reason of not feeling comfortable in that part of town. Works for me and I am being straight with the potential customer. Just my .02. Good luck with your decision but be comfortable with the decision.

12. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

if you can get a concealed wepons permit, then you can legally carry around a hand gun.
    if there are alot of people around when you plow make sure to keep an eye on them. i plow in an area that isnt the greatest also and have had people walk up to my truck and not even think that they could get killed or run over.
  13. bikeluver43

bikeluver43 Member
    from Mass

Give them a bid of a higher charge, and let them know the reasoning for your price is because of the increase in chance that damage can occur to your rig from gravel. Make up stuff like that, it always makes people who don't know much about it think that its good reasoning.
  14. mjm725

mjm725 Junior Member
    from NJ

I like the Idea of charge 50% more then just sub it out. ake sure in your contract you state not responsible for any damage to the gravel which you said is already worn out.
  15. Kramer

Kramer Senior Member

Check last weeks obituaries in the paper.

If you see the name of the guy that used to plow it, don't take the job! :redbounce
  16. bolensdriver

bolensdriver Senior Member

Is it in the ghetto? Just shake your groove thang and you can form a rap group
  17. Wolfies L&L

Wolfies L&L Member

Hey Chris, where are you going to be plowing at in York?? As long as you are along the main roads, you should be ok. There are some parts that I avoid driving to if possible.

18. Landscape80

It's off of South George St......Bell Socialization Services. It's about a block and a half south of the square in York City. It just doesn't really rub me the right way, but I dunno. Maybe if I could make $115.00 per hour to do it, I would. But I'm thinking that they won't go for my prices. But we'll see. They also have a shelter down the road on E. Market but that area isn't much better if at all.

19. scuba875

scuba875 Senior Member

I did a job once on the south side of Chicago 111th & MLK Dr. NEVER AGAIN!!!

Trust me you won't care how much money you are making if bullets start flying. I was in the middle of a gang shoot out while I was doing some repair work. I had a pistol on me but what good does it do. You can't shoot back all you can do is duck and wait for the shooting to stop unless you want to go to jail with the Sh*t heads. I don't know how bad the area your talking about is but I won't take work in those types of areas. To me it's not worth the risk or aggravation.
  20. Runner

Runner Senior Member

I agree. It's one account - a lousy one at that. Let it go...more will come along.