1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

To buy or not to buy

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Omaha Plowboy, Feb 12, 2010.

1. Omaha Plowboy

Omaha Plowboy Member

I have a opportunity to buy a used Western plow for $300.00 . Here's the thing, it's mounted on a 84 3/4 ton Chevy that has been sitting in storage for 10 to 15 years. It's a cable operated plow. It worked fine at the time truck went into storage. But after sitting that long I have concerns. If I buy it, is the a kit to convert to electric control and get away from the cables ?? I'm looking for a plow for my 87 K5 Blazer. What all models did Western make that were cable operated over 10 years ago ?? Trying to figure out what model this plow is. What kinds of problems might I run into sense it's been sitting for so long ??

Last edited: Feb 12, 2010
  2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Western hasn't used a cabled controlled pump on a light duty pickup application in 15 years.

The only way you're going to convert it to electric control is to replace the cable controlled pump unit with an electric controlled pump unit and purchase the needed wiring and controller. Not inexpensive by any means, even buying used you can still get up near a grand real fast. So if you're buying simply due to price, your best bet is to leave it cable controlled.