1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

To buy new… or not to buy new… that is the question!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mkwl, Dec 2, 2015.

1. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Hope you guys are all getting ramped up for the season- I'm actually hopping for no snow until after Jan 1st (trying to get a big landscape job done before then)… :nod:

Anyhow, with two of my trucks starting to show their age (especially my '03 which good ol' rust is doing quite a number on :( ) I'm looking into replacing the '03 with either a new truck for myself, and making my '06 my foremans' truck, or buying a new work truck for him and keeping my '06 with over 200K on her, as my personal truck (which I'm okay with, but with over 200K on it makes me a little leery about how reliable it's going to stay in the next 100K miles or so).

Now, my first instinct would be to buy a brand new or very close to brand new truck to replace the rusting '03 as it "should" be more reliable- never used/abused before, no rust, warranty, etc… but with a $44K+ price tag for a brand new comparable truck with a plow, it's got me thinking twice. Main reason being the nightmare I've been having with my '12 GMC dump truck- left me stranded on the side of route 80 in rush hour traffic with a 16' fully loaded flatbed….. happened twice- both times from failed GP3 pumps, killed all injectors both times….. seemingly endless issues with the DEF and DPF….. seems my newest truck is the least reliable. So, what do you guys think- stick with old school trucks and keep them on the road absolutely as long as possible, or go with newer? We do work all over Northern NJ so highway reliability towing 12K-16K Lbs is critical. I'd be replacing with a F350 6.2 gas XL if I replace my fore mans' truck, or an F350 6.7 diesel Lariat if I replace my truck and give my foreman my '06 Duramax.

Thoughts?

Matt :drinkup:

2. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

Last few trucks I got used, we got them down south. So ya take a drive to get it.

3. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

I buy all of my trucks new, but that's just me. I prefer to know that I'm the first person to beat on them. Buying used has worked for many people on here, but I'm not going that route anymore. I like new with warranty. That being said, I've deleted my DEF/DPF after many problems that the dealer couldn't ever fix, and I haven't had a single trouble since, and getting better mileage. Don't know if you "need" a diesel or not, that's your decision. But if I didn't need a diesel, I'd get gas. Cheaper and fewer problems.

4. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I shared your frustrations a few weeks ago with the same dilemma. I looked high and low, near me and even up to a few hundred miles away and found a couple but their mileage was way up there and still wanted a ton of money. These were clean but I wasn't going to pay 23-27k for a 4-6 year old truck with 100-150,000+ miles. I went new, I got my 2016 f250 with every option I wanted, it's a super cab w/8ft bed and every option an XLT has except a carpet and fog lights for right around 37k and the interest was great so I put the plow on the note as well. I think I'm only paying about 75.00 more per month for a brand new, full warranty truck then I would have buying used. I keep my trucks so the term didn't bother me.

5. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

This is the same thing I am looking at. Trying to get a new truck by next winter, no need for one right this second so I can look around, and was finding high milage trucks for not to much less than a new truck with the options I wanted. Ill be going new, or very close to new.

6. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

New. It costs the same to own a brand new one, or buying a 50-100K mile used one.

Tried both routes. I can budget for a $750 payment. I can't budget for a $500 repair here, 2K there...you get the picture.

And one more thing. Buy a gas one. Diesel has no advantage anymore unless you GVW 20K or more every time the truck is being driven.

7. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Thanks for the responses guys- keep 'em coming!

With regard to gas verus diesel- I'm torn on this too because the complexity of the new diesels scares me…. already have been burned badly by my almost new Duramax, but on the other hand I'm towing a 14-16K Lb trailer at lest 3-4x a week almost every week, so the towing is really the only reason I'd potentially prefer diesel over gas…..

8. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

I buy a new truck when the factory warranty is up. That means every 3 years or 36,000 miles. I'd rather be making a truck payment then a repair payment. I can get a new truck every 3 years for not that much money.

I know this is not for everybody but it works for me. If I had the repair skills that some Plow Site members have, I might think differently.

9. buttaluv

buttaluv Member

I just went through this myself... Went from an $8,000 limit to buying a brand new quad cab chevy...there's a lot of junk out there for $25 grand...granted my new truck is a WT model, steel wheels, etc. but it has a warranty, soon will have a new Snowex Speedwing!

10. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

Not a bad idea, but are you talking you get a 3 year loan? or a longer loan and just get rid of it at that mark.

Im hoping to get a new chevy/gmc for the same repair skills reason. Ive found them easier to work on, plus our mechanics at work all own them and work on them, and they don't charge much Thumbs Up

11. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

jhall: 3 year loan My payment is $245.00 per month

12. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

A friend of mine's boss does this but he's loaded and years ago put down 70% on a new truck so every 2-3 years he trades them in.

13. nighthawk117

nighthawk117 Senior Member
    from Ma

The first person I would be asking is my accountant , assuming you have one. Going with new you should have a nice depreciation schedule for the next few years, not so much with used trucks. If your numbers look good, hook your self up with a new ride :D

14. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

IMO..Those are 3 great comments...I fall into the preferred to own older trucks for snow work category, .but, after repeated unexpected repair bills I'm slowly changing my mind. I don't usually have many repair bills under about 800.00 which is quite a hit when you own multiple vehicles that need various repairs.
    Steve

15. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

I'm not positive but there might be a new law that allows up to $25,000.00 to be deducted the first year.FWIW
    Steve

16. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

I buy new i dont want anyones headaches

17. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

I don't buy any trucks new. I buy from the state county etc. I can do a lot of reconditioning in place of that huge monthly payment. The salt is going to eat them up anyways.

This is just me. I do buy my personal vehicles new or close. Going down south is a good idea. You can always fix mechanical once they rot out badly they are beyond repair.

If the truck is your main means of transportation maybe. Meaning grocery getter or family vehicle. I drive my personal vehicle down to my shop and grab a truck from there. I do know plenty of Guys that buy new trucks.
    Its just your way of thinking,

18. born2farm

born2farm 2000 Club Member

We have been in the same delima as we look at our 5 year plan for expansion and equipment upgrades.

In the past we have bought 10 year old trucks, fixed them up to our liking and ran with it. Now we are able to do all of the work in house and most of our trucks sit in the off season, so our maintenance costs are minimal. What bugs me the most about our current fleet is that there is no value to them. Most of our trucks wouldnt bring 4k if we tried to sell them.

Going forward we are going to try and purchase all our pickups new and rotate them out every 5 years. At that point they should be worth something still with fairly low miles. If your going to tie capital up in equipment, why not tie it up in equipment that's worth something.

Just something to think about along with the tax advantages ect.

19. jonniesmooth

jonniesmooth Senior Member

budget

We whited out the line in the budget that says car payment, and re wrote repairs.
    It's a truck, it's going to break down.It's really not unexpected. Although they seem to happen at the worst possible time.

When a truck breaks down, there are two things happening
    1) you have a broke down rig, and all the hassle that goes with it.
    2) you have a financial crisis because you didn't save any money for a truck breaking down, which we already covered. We know stuff will break down.

#1 you can't do anything about, except fix it or junk it.
    #2 you can plan for, so when you put that $750 away every month, and nothing breaks, you end up with a nice chunk of savings after a while.
    You could take a trip, use it upgrade trucks, buy a new truck, Christmas presents.

To the OP, I prefer used to new, but my #1 factor would be paying cash for whatever you decide.

20. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

If doable why could you not find a heavy duty reg cab with the plow on it ready to work from the state, County, City, etc. and pay cash and stick the $750.00 away for repairs. In six months you just saved $4500.00 for repairs.

It still just amounts to your way of thinking. I'm a cash man and don't like debt especially in this economy. Again I know plenty of guys that won't buy nothing but new. Used and debt comes from the old school not many of us left.