1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

To Brine or Not to Brine?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Lcmains1, Jan 1, 2015.

1. Lcmains1

Lcmains1 Member

Started making my own brine (23%) and applying as a pre treatment this year. Had a couple smaller snows in November and the brine was effective and helpful.

We are forecast for 4-5" this weekend. Will start with temps in the upper 20's with a heavier wet snow, sounds like some thunder snow and then temps dropping quickly to single digits, and lots of wind. Will be a 10-12 hr snow event.

Any experienced brine guys out there. Will brine help at all with this much snow and temps and the length of storm? Any advice is appreciated, don't want to wast money if its not effective

thanks

2. SnoDaddy

SnoDaddy Senior Member
    from ohio

started using a hot mix myself this season and the snow your describing is exacty what we had in November. I pre-treated some and it was helpful but I should have put down more. Remember the more moisture in the snow the more brine you need so if your pre-treating normally at 30 gallon/acre go up to 50 for this.

3. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

You can pre treat with your brine as long as your pavement temperature is +15F. Make sure to make an application (dry or prewet) material every time you scrape. You are only trying to prevent the bond from occurring so when it is time to clean up it takes the least amount of material possible.