1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

To blow or not to blow?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by CLC03, Dec 12, 2007.

1. CLC03

CLC03 Junior Member

I am currently not in the snow removal business. I live in a 19 unit condo/townhouse assocation. I am considering taking this job(19 units) on, but I don't want to spend a lot of $$$ on a blade or a different truck(currently drive '97 f-150). This would be the only job I would take on. The driveways are 40-50 feet long, 3 blocks of sidewalk, and steps to the front doors. For those that are more experience, could I get away with using 1-2 good snowblowers to get the job done? I have a full time job, so time will be a factor, but I have 2-3 guys willing to help out. Is it worth it? If I take this on, I am considering getting a single stage toro and a two stage ariens. Any thoughts?
  2. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

How long do you think it will take you per condo, in a 3 inch storm? (10m)

How flexible is your job? (can you be late, or miss a few snow days?)

I dont know how much snow you get in Nebraska, is it much?

As to your question, yes I think you can use blowers. I have a toro 2450, and it moves snow quickly. I would suggest 2 of them if your gonna have a helper, and your gonna get to the snow before it gets real deep. It couldnt hurt to have a 2 stager blower also, to clean up what the plows leave by the street.
  3. CLC03

CLC03 Junior Member

From what I have seen, you can move quickly with a toro single stage. I would guess it would take 15 minutes per condo(that includes scooping the steps to the door. My goal would be to do it in 5 hrs or less.
    My job is not flexible.
    We usually get 15-20 inches per year, and about every third/fourth year we get about 30 inches(usually a big 12-15 inch snow). We have already received about 6-7 inches. Currently someone is plowing our drives(poorly).
    As far as time, most of the residents would be flexible and understand my schedule.
  4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

As long as you have time to do te work around your schedule it would work. But a full time job during plowing season can be very tough to do. You can plan for work but you can't plan on when the snow will fall. Good Luck with it tho.