1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

$ to blow a 1000' driveway, 300" of snow/year

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by larboc, Sep 7, 2016.

1. larboc

larboc Member

Ha, sorry. Gotcha now. Sometimes humor is very tough to convey on the internet.
    And no, mining is not making a comeback up here, though it is a few miles south down by marquette with the new yellowdog mine.

FredG likes this.
  2. larboc

larboc Member

Anything but a 2wd truck. I drive either my 2001 rusty 3/4 ton chevy or my rusty '98 jetta tdi with winterforces.
    Slap winterforces on anything and drive it right and you'll be fine.

3. larboc

larboc Member

Got a text at noon today, looks like I'm going to be burning some diesel tonight. Lake effect snow warning for the next 5+ days. 20"+ of blowing snow expected.

4. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

You lucky SOB!

Or not...;)

5. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

I have been watching it up there a little, maybe I need to pack up the sled and make a road trip.

6. larboc

larboc Member

Got it opened up, took about an hour

0108171536.jpg

7. Randall Ave

Randall Ave 2000 Club Member

Now is that your drive, or the neighbors?

8. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Why. Not clear it out when there is a bit less snow?
    Or blow with the storm?

Ps nice jagoff bar, light bar,
    Do you like it?

9. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

You should read thread :terribletowel:instead of taking pics of rusty fire hydrants.

It is a nice jagoof light bar.

LapeerLandscape likes this.
  10. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

I did...
    I also by the looks of it , I think he has more than a hr onto that drive.

One has no relation to them other,:terribletowel:

11. Freshwater

Freshwater Senior Member

That area is one of the snowiest on the planet. Alot of home owners have bobcats or tractors/blowers. Trucks get buried. Homes actually have doors on the second floor.

Wonder if a snow fence would work on properties like that.

12. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Yes, I skied all across the UP.
    You guys do get a lot of snow
    But you don't brake the top 12,

I lived in # 11 for years, it's where I cut my teeth in the snow industery.

12. Truckee, California---High in the Sierras, this is near the famous Donner Pass and Yosemite National Park. The average annual snowfall is 202.6" or almost 17 feet.

11. Crested Butte, Colorado---High in the Rockies, this area is famous for ski resorts like Vail and Telluride. The average snowfall is 215.3" or almost 18 feet.

10. Mt. Washington, New Hampshire---Famous for snow and skiing, this area averages 21.75 feet of snow.

9. Valdez, Alaska---Surrounded by mountains, Valdez is also home to ski resorts. Pacific moisture produces snow totals averaging 326.3, " over 27 feet annually--almost 5 times the total for Chicago (so far) this year!

8. Chamonix, France---Located in the french alps with Mont Blanc as a backdrop, this beautiful ski resort is world famous. In addition to skiing, it's a draw for enthusiasts of mountain climbing, rock climbing, gliding, and wingsuit flying. Snowfall averages 31.4 feet.

7. Nagano, Japan---Host city for the Winter Olympics in 1998, Nagano is also home to snow monkeys and many hot springs. This scenic area averages 36 feet of snow a year.

6. Kirkwood Mountain, California---In the western Sierras, just south of Lake Tahoe, this ski and resort area gets plenty of Pacific moisture. The average snowfall is 39.4 feet.

5. Alyeska, Alaska---Just outside Anchorage, this ski and resort area averages 42.75 feet of snow a year.

4. Alta Ski Area, Utah---high above Salt Lake City in the Wasatch Mountains, this area gets 43.5 feet of snow. Perfect for ski enthusiasts, but no snowboarders allowed!

3. Mount Fidelity---Glacier National Park, British Columbia--This is an inland exception, not near a big open body of water--one of the factors that produce massive snowfalls. The totals here average 48.25 feet.

2. Niseko, Japan---This resort area in Hokkaido is famous for its lightest powder snow and long ski season which runs from late November until early May. Hokkaido is also known as "Snow Country, " and this area experiences northwest to southeast Siberian winds in the winter. Total average-- 49.5 feet of snow.

And the number one snowiest place on Earth is---

Paradise Ranger Station, Mt. Rainier, Washington---Located in Mt. Rainier National Park, this location has it all--pacific moisture, mountain elevation, and glaciers. It's a winter paradise, indeed. The total snowfall averages a whopping 56.3 feet!

13. larboc

larboc Member

Neighbor's driveway, the ones that were trying to have someone plow their driveway that was known for not being able to be plowed. Narrow with deep ditches mean you can't keep it wide enough to give enough room for the year and the wind rows catch drifting snow, filling it up quicker.

See above, the owner just got a hold of me a few days ago.
    Not sure what a jagoff bar is. This one was a $100 ebay unit and works great since I'm generally moving snow in the darkness and I'm miles from any neighbors.

I checked the hour meter on the tractor when leaving and returning to my house. Just over an hour.

14. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Cool

A jagoff bar is an indearing reference to a lightbar

There are 100's of them on Amazon .

A make?
    Price.
    How long have you had it.

I'm looking for one but I wand a decent one but I'm not going to pay an arm
    Amd a leg for a name either.

15. larboc

larboc Member

I dunno, I just bought the cheapest result for "42" lightbar" on ebay that looked like it had plenty of flood lenses at the sides. Only had it this season, but it is handy. The stock lights shine off the snow that's getting blown, making it hard to see. The light bar off the top of the cab doesn't have this problem. I turn off the stock lights and just use the light bar.

I've looked really closely at the $350 ones at TSC and similar and they look to be identical, right down to the mounting hardware. They are all made in china and if I'm going to get chinese quality I'm going to pay chinese prices.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  16. ktfbgb

ktfbgb PlowSite.com Addict

My parents used to have a vacation cabin they split with a friend in Truckee. We would go several times a year, winter and summer. One of the best places on earth in my opinion. Haven't been there in a long time I need to take my family there. They can have some incredible snowfall rates there in a relative short amount of time.

I personally like the Auxbeam jagoff bars. I'm ordering one for my plow. I have two of their 4" flood pods for auxiliary backup lighting. They are made incredibly well for the price point. I may get crucified for saying this but I really like them. I can take pics if ya want. At the price point even if they only last a couple seasons it's well worth it. $21 for the set. Very good reviews. I'm ordering a spot flood combo with the 5D projectors for the plow. All their chipsets are CREE or a couple models with Phillips chipsets.

17. Freshwater

Freshwater Senior Member

Those are high totals for sure, though the kewinaw Peninsula I think is a much larger area than most of those. You can also include the elbow by marquette, Munising. They just get hammered with lake effect. I lived up there one winter, 240+inches or something. Crazy.

18. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

Your going to need a bigger tractor.

Mark Oomkes likes this.
  19. larboc

larboc Member

Why? It handled it just fine and is very maneuverable, very handy and quick for my snow removal duties at home. I just took it slow and steady in that 2-3 foot deep driveway and didn't have any problems. Heated hard cab is key.

I just got out to take a "tractor selfie". Never got close to being stuck (famous last words I know).

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
    LapeerLandscape and Mark Oomkes like this.
  20. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

if hr meter say 1 hr, it is generally longer...hr meter is calibrated for pto speed, so anything under that is more time.

bought a short cree light bar from summit, $49, maybe with this warm up ill get it hooked on the back rack...thinking a second one (both mounted at corners), but want to see how this on is 2550 lumins....dont want full length, any i have seen block out the yellow