1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

$ to blow a 1000' driveway, 300" of snow/year

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by larboc, Sep 7, 2016.

1. 906Yooper

906Yooper Junior Member

2. 906Yooper

906Yooper Junior Member

Where is this "come back" when the Empire is being closed down and 400+ people being laid off? You obviously aren't from da U.P.

3. larboc

larboc Member

I sent a text saying that I would wait till there was 1 foot on the driveway or 2 feet at the road bank from the county plow and do it for $50 per time and I asked if that sounded fair. Never got a response back and I noticed someone had opened it up with a v-plow last night. Time will tell, but from what I have heard and can estimate the banks on the side of the driveway will trip the drifting snow and fill up the driveway to the level of the banks every time it snows a couple inches and it will be unplowable by spring. That's what happens on the country road and they have to sno-go it a couple times.
    We've had 55" of snow in the last 2 weeks, I'm kind of glad I don't have to worry about it in all honesty and it wouldn't have been worth it for less than $50. I'll enjoy driving by and seeing what happens much more.

4. Randall Ave

Randall Ave 2000 Club Member

If, or when they call you, just let it ring.

5. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

Your $50.00 just went to $100.00 per trip, Tell them your wide open and did not get on your route in time. They blew smoke now it's your turn. I hate to suggest this because I'm sure your honest being you gave them fifty to do it and they passed. These people need to learn how to be prepared. I'm sure they knew they would need a blower with them snow amounts. Probably saved $10.00 with the truck for now.

6. aamalhi16

aamalhi16 Junior Member

$83.50 per

7. 906Yooper

906Yooper Junior Member

I don't see where they wouldn't pay 50 bucks. I was in South Range this morning, maybe 5 ft but hard to tell it's drifting from NW. Plus it's blowing and chilly, even at home it's 2 deg and falling. Time to plug in the truck.

Our forecast isn't too bad worse is coming. It always does. LOL

"
    311 PM EST Tue Dec 13 2016 /211 PM CST Tue Dec 13 2016/

The combination of near zero to sub-zero temperatures with brisk
    westerly winds gusting 15 to 25 mph will continue to produce wind
    chill readings of 10 below to 25 below zero through Thursday morning.
    The lowest readings are expected across the interior west half of
    Upper Michigan.

Wind chill readings as low as 25 below zero can produce frostbite on
    exposed skin in as little as 30 minutes.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
  8. larboc

larboc Member

Lol, yea to say it's been snowing for the past couple days would be a gross understatement. Officially over 4 feet of snow in the past 2 weeks.

9. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

Looks like a quaint little town. That's were I need to be. I'm sick of the City, Have all the Italians moved on? I thought I read something about a good percentage were Italians. This is a lot of snow in 2 weeks, Got to be a Tavern around or two, NO? What do most do for entertainment? Are the mines active?

10. agustofson

agustofson Junior Member

50-60 isnt even worth putting the hours on the tractor.....

11. larboc

larboc Member

We've had 112+" of snow to date. I drove by today, it appears plowing didn't work out. The driveway got really narrow, just wider than the v-plow then today they couldn't plow it. Hard to see from the picture but it looks like whoever was plowing could only make it half way up the driveway and ran out of traction. Supposed to get up to 33 degrees this week and turn it all to concrete. I don't think I want to go in and cut ice with my tractor now. Good learning experience I suppose, now I know I can't do the same for my driveway!

IMG_3880.JPG

12. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

We only average 7% of your yearly snow lol i would lock in 30" a year right now

13. larboc

larboc Member

Strange thing to ask about Italians, guess I've never really had a problem with any race here.
    With 300+ inches of snow per year you really need to ask how many bars we have?

14. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

150 now for a 1 time cleanup and move banks back

15. Jeep_thing

Jeep_thing Senior Member

Their trigger is 12" or 24" at the road? Really, they are driving through 11" of snow and a 23" windrow? What the heck do they drive?

16. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

I was not referring to a race thing, IMO they were honest ?'s. What are you a recovering alcoholic? :dizzy: :terribletowel:

17. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

Sometimes you dont get it. He is saying with 300 plus inches of snow what else do you do, you drink.

18. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

Maybe I don't, I will refer to a thread from the other day, I'm a literal kind of guy, Words don't have two meanings. I appreciate the correction tho.

19. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

Maybe I misunderstood your meaning, My bad.

20. ktfbgb

ktfbgb PlowSite.com Addict

We don't get as much snow as they do we get just over 100" a year average. For example last weekend depending on what side of town you were on we got between 12" and 16" for that single storm. Pretty common for us to see numbers like that. Many home owners that have a 4x4 just drive over that kind of snowfall. 16" in the drive, city berms were at least 24" tall. Not very many residential contracts where I am. But the sun does cook it off much faster here than back there. When we get 24" plus storms that's when Residential's start calling for one time plows.