1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

To big of a light for Western 1000

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by REAPER, Jan 22, 2008.

1. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Ever let your mind wander because you were PO'ed. at something.

Then continue to plow while cussing under your breath?

Thats when ya find those light poles.

I guess I can look at it as this is the most damage I have done to anything of mine while plowing.

salter1.jpg

salter2.JPG

salter3.JPG

spinner.JPG

salter1.jpg

salter2.JPG

salter3.JPG

spinner.JPG

Last edited: Jan 22, 2008
  2. Chevytruck85

Chevytruck85 Senior Member

that sucks.....is it reparable??

3. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Ahhh no.

I could order all the parts separate and switch the motor and shaft and pulley.

The frame that holds the hopper cracked.
    The hopper is busted all to pieces.
    You can see the spinner well the shaft ain't looking to good either.

If I wanted to wait for parts I could give it a go but after pricing everything that I needed - vs - just buying a new one with out the controls was only about $150 more.

I already got the new one.
    I just got home and am going to have a couple of beers before going out there to unbolt the old one.

I am pretty tired but I need it tonight.

4. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

just be happy that u hit a pole and not something else... def sux tho.. and i see you still have snow coming down so go out and make that money back...payup

5. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

I said the exact thing.

Thank GOD the store was not open yet and filled with cars.

6. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX PlowSite.com Addict

Did you buy another western 1000?...Now you can keep them as spare parts!!..but yea that sucks!!

7. jjtmarineb2

jjtmarineb2 Member

That sucks! What type of lot was it? :salute:

8. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

sorry to hear that. Did you find something else to use then?

9. Prof Touch L&L

Prof Touch L&L Member

Ouch!! That always sux

10. Supper Grassy

Supper Grassy Senior Member

that will ruin your day real quick

be sure to post pics of the new one

11. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Yeah another 1000. I have been planning on selling this truck at the end of the season to upgrade. This will help with that sale actually.
    And yes spare parts. Motor, top w/straps, rubber hold downs pulley , belt. Connections to the motor.
    The new one also came with the truck side wiring. I may try to sell that. If someone had a old hopper and frame they could put together a pretty nice spreader.

Toys - R - Us. Below. Nice size lot I do alone with my 7 1/2 straight blade.
    I out lined everything i do inside the red. The dashes along the long side are Landscape islands. In the back and front corner i out lined the islands as well. the 2 small red dots are the light poles. The one at the same end as the loading docks is the one that got me.
    Who ever draws up parking lots and thinks it brings out the beauty to ad Islands. YOU SUCK!

toys.JPG

Yes. the other contractor that works for the guy I do came over and salted it. Better late then never. I called Adams brothers and secured the new one.

Mounted and tested. Ready to go. payup

Newsalter.JPG

Newsalter2.JPG

toys.JPG

Newsalter.JPG

Newsalter2.JPG

12. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

i backed into a pole 1 time...barley touched it with bumper...DOWN IT WENT...500 to tig weld the base...200 fo rthe lense and bulb....SUCKED...

13. groundbreakers

groundbreakers Senior Member

dam, kinda glad i do my own welding and fab ... i found a meyer mini junior on craigslist ... and used torches to straighten out the frame work .. and presto .. it worked $200 for the setup ...

14. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

somebody on here was an inspector and said they put them in to slow down traffic. and ya that sucks. its just a matter of time befor u hit something plowing thats y ins cost so much. and for the guy who broke the one light thats y they make those 3 ft concrete bases then bolt the lights on those so if a car was to hit it. it would hit rock not light

15. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

one of our guys backed into a lightpole at one of our accounts that has the big concrete piliar it sits on. needless to say the cat took the whole thing with it.

its not really that amazing seeing as how he hit it with the 980 cat. i still dont know how he didnt see it with the 4 floodlights on the back of the thing.

it cost us like 3200 out of pocket to repair b/c we didnt want to file an insurance claim.

16. 01FordPlower

01FordPlower Member
    from PA

Just think how that light pole feels, my guess.... nothing. Well thats stinks, but at least your up and running again, and you'll have the new one paid off in no time.

17. Idealtim

Idealtim Senior Member

damn that sucks. Suprised it didn't hurt the truck at all.

18. rjfetz1

rjfetz1 Senior Member
    from CT.

Ya, That sucks - whenever ^%&*% happens to me I think of ways it could have been worse - then what I did isn't so bad after all. Yesterday an oil delivery owner/operator while training a newbie tried to stop his truck after it started rolling and slipped - rear wheels ran he over...........he died.

19. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

been there done that with my fisher 1000, but i slid on ice and hit a tree, lucky for me it was just a tad more to the left so all i did was a monster dent. it was a foggy night and my light solenoid quick working, so i couldn't see that well and well going like a banshi to get to the next job - oops, slide, bam! - CRAP. it happens, we move on.

that lot screams GET YOURSELF PROWINGS!

20. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

that sucks one of my guys backed into a post last year and bent up a spreader pretty good....it happens but it sucks