1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

To all magnetic mount light bar owners...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Joel B., Sep 16, 2008.

1. Joel B.

Joel B. Senior Member
    from MN

Ever had you light bar fall off? I just bought a Whelen Guardian light bar and the owner's manual warns about having the light bar mounted while moving.?.?.?
  2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Just make sure the roof and your light is clean when putting it on your roof...

How fast do you plan on going?
  3. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Ive had tree branches knock mine off
  4. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

if its a vehical you like, (newer) i high recommed putting something between the magnets and the truck... or just get a back rack and mount it to that
  5. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

Several of the trucks I used last year had magnetic light bars never once had an issue.
  6. JeffNY

JeffNY Senior Member

Ive been 85mph with my code 3 420 (i think thats what it is) and I put duck tape over the magnets.
  7. Indy

Indy Senior Member

no problem, just make sure the truck and mags are clean, no issues
  8. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

I've run the Sho-Me for 3 years now, 3 different trucks, no issues.
  9. NLS1

NLS1 Senior Member

And DRY! No problems for me with mine.
  10. ServiceOnSite

ServiceOnSite Senior Member

just a branch once, other than that no problems at all. or instead of duct tape you culd try spraying fulid film on it. just a thought
  11. 91AK250

91AK250 PlowSite.com Addict

had mine slide off at 75mph this last winter but whn i put it on the roof had some ice still on it..otherwise no issues..

and yes, make sure to cover the mag...i scratched my roof and my new paint :(
  12. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

Never had mine move-ecco dual rotator. I think I have been up to 80 maybe 85
  13. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I've been in a buddies truck going 100 to a ambulance call with his whelen responder...never moved.

I had Eddie Murphy on the roof yelling pull over pull over, and he managed to stay sealed to about 95mph, I used a few diff bars and 2 led strobes and never had one come off...

Saw some cool ones at the expo show in Malboro. lil pricey thou....
  15. dfdsuperduty

dfdsuperduty Senior Member

mine is mag and stays on year round when im on the express way i avg between 75-80 and have had no problems
  16. MB3

MB3 Senior Member

neveer had a problem with mine, and I never had any scratches thought, never though of placing somehting between the mag and the roof.
  17. 76CHEVY

76CHEVY Member

only problem i ever had with my Federal was someone stole it off my truck last winter. I never had any problem with it slide.
  18. Alaska Boss

Alaska Boss PlowSite.com Addict
    from Alaska

I've had 3 or 4 different brands/types of magnetic mounts over the years, and never had any of them move. I always mounted them towards the back of the cab rather than in the middle, thinking that it got more "relief" from the air that is directed up & over the cab, but not sure that it really matters.