1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

To all Boss power V owners and techs

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by farmertim, Feb 17, 2005.

1. farmertim

farmertim Member

Hi all...

I bought a 3 year old Boss 8-2 and after 10 hours of plowing it seems to run all the fluid out of the fill cap on top of the fluid tank.
    Is there any known reason or malfuntion of this series plow to cause this or am I doing something wrong in the operation?
    I do tend to change position of the plow while moving snow, but nothing extreme or while pushing hard in heavy snow.
    Any observations and advice would be appreciated.
    I didn't get the manual with the plow, the Boss site doesn't address this problem, and my area dealer only installs the plows but doesn't work on them.
    Thanks...
    Tim

2. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

My fill cap is on the passenter side of the tank. It is an elbow that you fill till you can see fluid. I do know that when I change fluid I usually put in too much and after running the plow it will overflow, but I have never had the problem that you are describing. It is definatly not the way that you are operating it. I move the wings all the time while I am plowing. It makes you much more efficient. I would get onto Boss website and click on "contact us", describe your problem, and they will get back to you right away. I have had to do that in the past and their tech support is fantastic.

3. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

the cap on top of the reservoir is a also a breather, so if you overfilled your reservoir it will come out there. if you plow is actually pumping out the fluid then you have something wrong. you are suppose to check the fluid level with the tower down, then it should be level with the bottom of the full tube. ( 90 degree angle thing coming out of the side of the tower.)
    it so much fluid coming out that you plow wont run anymore? like starving it of fluid and you can hear the pump whine.

4. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

Tim as 04superduty said one reason for it to blow oil out the breather/vent cap is if the power unit was over filled.
    There is a screen on the return line inside the tank that helps to control foaming and stops the fluid from spraying inside the tank which could cause what you have discribed but I have never seen one come off.
    I would clean the tower and power unit down and refill to the proper level and the keep a close eye on it and see if it happens again.
    :rolleyes: John.................