1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

tne new x-blade from fisher

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by cookie, Oct 6, 2003.

1. cookie

cookie Member

Hi, we just got a plowing contract for a large parking lot here in town. My bro - law and I are going to be plowing it this winter. He has a chev 1/2 ton that we are going to put a 71/2 fisher mm2 (he has a v-6). I have a 99 GMC 3/4 ton with a 6l engine (8600gvw), my question is should I get the new 9ft x-blade or the 91/2 ez-v. The x-blade is quite a mean looking plow, and it looks like the mould board has more tip to the front for rolling snow better, and I like the stainless steel. Any help would be cool, thanks:yow!:

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

Depends on the type of plowing you will be doing.If your doing big open stuff,with little clean up,then a straight blade would be fine.

If your doing smaller stuff,and need the scoop position,then go with the V-blade.

You may also want to search,as there is lots of feedback on straight vs V-blades.

3. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

Cookie,

as the proud owner of a new Fisher XBlade, I would offer just a little advice.

I own a 2000 GMC 2500 extended cab with a 6' bed. The largest blade I can put on it as far as an Xblade goes is the 8' XBLADE.
    I enclosed a pic for you too see.

I too have the 8600 GVW.

Be advised , if you don't like the stainless steel ( and I don't know why you won't) you can also order the XBlade in Mild steel ( they are painted yellow like normal Fisher plows)

The XBlade is designed for better scraping and back blading.

my truckplow and driveway work 001.jpg

4. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

another view

if you want to see more they are posted in the pic forum.

my truckplow and driveway work 027.jpg

5. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

JCurtis - very nice setup! Looks very similar to Myo's except that his is regular cab with Duramax, on a HD 2500. :D

I noticed that you opted for red plow markers instead of Fisher standard plow guide with silver tips! ;)

6. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

thats what the installer put on. I don't know if I like them or not, but I know they sure are visible.

Just below the black cap on each marker is a small strip of reflective tape with a fisher logo on it.

Coming at you the little piece of tape is very reflective, almost like an eye reflecting light.

7. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

I would get the X-blade. 9ft x-blade will be really heavy on your truck. I would get the 8ft X-blade. If you got the regular fisher blade then you could get the 8ft 6inch blade and carry it with out a problem:)

8. myo

myo Senior Member

Go for the 8' X blade and timbrens to help with the weight on the front end.

9. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

Still giving advice ay meyer....

10. EZSnow

EZSnow Senior Member

meyer's still re-giving advice...
    And how many different threads have we seen Mr. Curtis' tuck on?

Nice truck, BTW!

11. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

still same old stuff ya meyer..... :sleeping:

I would opt for 8' Fisher X-blade, I believe that the 9' will be a bit too heavy. The x-blade is designed for heavy commercial plowing, which including parking lots, so it's a good choice. Their higher angle of attack (75 degrees) will help alot with rolling the snow and probably a bit better in scraping the surface. Being that it is stainless, you would never have to worry about rust. I do know that it is now available in mild steel too. But it still bolts right on to the X frame.

I would also advise you to get a set of Timbrens for the front end to help with the weight of plow to reduce sag.

12. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Guys I could say the same thing to all of you, and myself. We all repeat the same info that has been repeated already on previous threads, and on and on. Now it is you guys that are still bringing up the same old stuff. It is old and over and you just keep wearing it out.

13. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

Review

A review of information doesn't have to be a bad thing . Teaching calls for a summary or review . I used to be able to remember everything I learned until I hit 40 .:( .Many times a review can approach the same subject at a different angle .

14. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I have a question it is probably a stupid one but I will ask any ways.The cutting edge on the X blade will it wear faster because of the attack angle verses a normal blade angle?Since this is a new product there might not be to much input on it yet but that is one of the tings i was thinking about if you buy one more frequent edge changes.It probable does not make a difference but I'm curious if the angle does make it wear faster.

15. cookie

cookie Member

thanks

JCurtis, thank u, nice set up by the way. I wanted a King cab, but the regular cab I got is better for my needs. The stainless Fisher looks really cool on your truck - very nice! I think that the X-blade is the best plow for my needs. Thanks again - Cookie:drinkup:

16. cookie

cookie Member

thanks

Thank you everybod:waving:

17. Aspen Snow

Aspen Snow Senior Member

Jeff,

Nice piece!!

:D

18. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

if I am not mistaken

The cutting edge on the xblade is reversible . While perusing the Fisher literature I found that the #787 + #184 truck mount weight =970+/- Thats the weight of the Blizzard 810

19. myo

myo Senior Member

Bwhite, fisher site shows the xblade weight is 787 and the average vehicle mount weigth is 60lbs. 787 + 60 = ~850
    Its close to the weight of the blizzard.

cookie, post some pics once you get your setup completed.

20. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

mount weight

MYO you are right the truck mount is 60# I was looking at the truck mount weight for the MC9 by mistake :( Bill

PS I went to the Fitchburg dealer to check out a Blizzard 810